Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1

So staring at lots of ride plate pics...

...it looks to me like the thing they do mostly is help direct the water coming under the ski so that it is more pointing in the direction of the thrust coming from the pump, yes? i.e. the ski is sitting a bit nose up, but the pump is essentially flat into the wake, and the slight rise on the aftermarket plates brings the trailing water up closer to the thrust line?

I am guessing the sharp edges also help with cornering, although my stock SLT780s have thrown a lot of guys used to being able to flip smaller skis.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The rear section of the ride plate affects whether the rear of the ski is allowed to ride lower in the water or the rear is held more 'on top' of the water.

As the rear is allowed to sit lower the nose can rise higher at speed. The higher the nose rides the less hull there is touching the water.

If the ride plate is longer then it tends to keep the rear up and the nose down. Better for stability and rough water ride but more hull in the water means more drag.

A shorter ride plate or one with the trailing section angled upwards reduces the 'lift' at the rear of the ski.

Grooves, edges and hollows in the ride plate help maintain straight line stability and change the way the hull handles when turning.

At speed the ride plate is carrying a big portion of the hull weight and determines a lot of how the hull handles.

Banned User
    +1
    The plates are also angled in some way to control how much "lift" it provides to the rear of the hull. Various grooves and other cutouts help with tracking. They use different lengths to help keep the nose down on takeoff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    ...it looks to me like the thing they do mostly is help direct the water coming under the ski so that it is more pointing in the direction of the thrust coming from the pump, yes? i.e. the ski is sitting a bit nose up, but the pump is essentially flat into the wake, and the slight rise on the aftermarket plates brings the trailing water up closer to the thrust line?

I am guessing the sharp edges also help with cornering, although my stock SLT780s have thrown a lot of guys used to being able to flip smaller skis.
    Sponsons affect cornering more than the ride plate does. More aggressive sponsons will hold on to the turn harder....

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks guys.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    depends on the sponson type,race styles like beach house,hot seat,worx greatly improve the turning,just adding stock sponsons to a hull with out them helps more with stability and tracking and a little with cornering.plates like the op for the virage greatly imrpove handling as the large tunnels act like sponsons but also allow the rear to ride lower getting the nose up,the op virage plate is about 4" longer than the batwing and extends past the pivot point of the steering nozzle,this eliminates drag from the steering nozzle offset between the pump nozzle.the op plate works good with anything from a 3 to 6 wedge,the batwing has a terrible ride with a 6 wedge in any rough water

Thread Information