my gp 1200 gauges

so my gauges use to work, then they started to turn off and on while i was riding. when they turned off while riding they still had power because i could unlock or lock them. i went on ebay and got another set. they worked then started doing the same thing. i ran them through the function test and everything worked, but they now just stay off while im riding, and you can still lock and unlock them. whats wrong ???

+1
    Its a glitchy thing they do when they have low voltage. Check your charging voltage with the engine running. If thats ok, then check the connections for the display. If you find corrosion, clean it up. Also clean up/ tighten up your battery connections. If you do all that and don't find anything, maybe you battery is getting weak or bad.

Check the lightning coil ? Connection is good and the battery is new.

+1
    Yes you could do that. The lighting coil charges the battery. I would start by measuring the voltage at the battery and at the power wire for the display when the engine is running.
    My display has done this when my GP cranks really slow because of my old weak battery. The display doesn't wake up even with the engine running. but if i play around with the buttons and "unlock" it...it wakes up and works. But with a fully charged battery and a good strong crank, it works fine. The reason I can tell its a low voltage (or maybe no voltage) is because the clock resets when this happens to me.

my gauges are having same issue, the Speedo will fluxuate, ill be going like 38-42 MPH, well then it'll say like 18, then go to the correct reading. Also my fuel gauge will read that there is nothing in it, after I just filled it up.. SHould I just replace the gauge pod?? Where would be a good place to get one??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97WaveRunnerGP1200 View Post
    my gauges are having same issue, the Speedo will fluxuate, ill be going like 38-42 MPH, well then it'll say like 18, then go to the correct reading. Also my fuel gauge will read that there is nothing in it, after I just filled it up.. SHould I just replace the gauge pod?? Where would be a good place to get one??
    Nope. You problem isn't with the gauges. The wacky speedometer is due to a worn out speedo sensor. Or the sensor has some weeds on it. Try cleaning and lubing the little paddle wheel speedo sensor and see if that helps. If not you'll need to replace the sensor or just ignore the speedo like most of us do.
    The fuel gauge reading problem is most likely the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank.
    Here's a good thread on the fuel gauge issue: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...e-tank-is-full.

+1
    BTW...both of you 2 guys should be posting in the Old School section in regards to your GP1200s. This section is for the 2000 and newer 2 strokes. Us old schoolers hang out in the Old School section.

Thread Information