Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1997 gp1200

Cool 1997 gp1200

Hey guys!
    So I just went and bought a 97 GP1200 with 113 hours for 3,000.. first off, is that a good price? Next question I have, when I first start it off it vibrates alot, and the front storage compartment in front of the handle bars, it shakes a lot, is that normal? Then when I'm taking off a little bit of white smoke comes out, is that normal as well? I'm thinking that it may just need a tune-up, any things I may need to look for, I'm gonna take it to a jet ski mechanic and let them check it out, but any help would be appreciated. Anything I may need to replace or anything I could get to help with performance...?
    Thanks guys!!
    John

Well it smokes because its a two stroke, it mite need the carbs tuned, thats what mite be causing the shaking or motor mounts.

so i'm new to the PWC scene but I really want to get into it, what is a flame arrestor? does that help performance wise?

Those are your air filters, or air filter

So i assume that would help with performance, how much does that kit run normally??? and is there a certain brand that I am lookng for? Any feedback to this n00b would be much appreciated!!!
    Thanks again!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97WaveRunnerGP1200 View Post
    Hey guys!
    So I just went and bought a 97 GP1200 with 113 hours for 3,000.. first off, is that a good price? Next question I have, when I first start it off it vibrates alot, and the front storage compartment in front of the handle bars, it shakes a lot, is that normal? Then when I'm taking off a little bit of white smoke comes out, is that normal as well? I'm thinking that it may just need a tune-up, any things I may need to look for, I'm gonna take it to a jet ski mechanic and let them check it out, but any help would be appreciated. Anything I may need to replace or anything I could get to help with performance...?
    Thanks guys!!
    John
    Welcome.
    $3000 is a little high for these unless its perfect or has some great modifications. They usually go for $1800 to $2500 with a trailer.
    These 65U non-power valve 1200 shake violently at idle (some worse then others), so thats pretty normal.
    Some smoke is also normal. Its a 2 stroke. It burns oil.
    There are lots of performance stuff you can do these. Here's a list of some of my mods:

1997 GP1200
    bored .5mm over to 84.5mm on all 3 cylinders using Pro-X pistons
    Jetworks mod
    Primer kit, chokes removed
    Riva Cone Flame Arrestors
    Mild Case porting
    All 3 carb were rebuilt with 100 pilots 135main 1.5 needle and seats 115 gram spring
    Stock was 100, 95, 97.5 pilot and 135 mains 1.2 needle seat
    Return restrictor drill out mod with 105 main jet inline restrictor to balance fuel pressure
    T handles carb screws
    Aluminum Trim Tabs
    [email protected] Pro Series ride plate w/ Group K machining
    [email protected] Aquavein intake grate
    Raider exhaust manifold gasket
    Solas YD SC XO prop
    5 degree nozzle
    Riva Sponsons

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97WaveRunnerGP1200 View Post
    So i assume that would help with performance, how much does that kit run normally??? and is there a certain brand that I am lookng for? Any feedback to this n00b would be much appreciated!!!
    Thanks again!!!!
    You can't just slap them on and go. You need to recalibrate the carbs a bit to get them to run correctly and avoid running lean.

+1
    Welcome the Hulk!

There is tons of info on this site for the GP. Do some searching and if you still cant find questions to your answers, hit us up. I agree with Cutlass that your price is a little high. I paid 2700 with a trailer and a few mods in 2009 and that was a little high at the time. These engines are known as shakers so yes the most shaking is normal at idle.

Did you do a compression check? Does the impeller look dinged up? Look under the bottom back section of the hull, does anything look to be missing? Is there any cracks inside of the hull or does it look like it was once damaged? (not trying to scare you but some 97s were venerable to cracking in the middle.

I looked underneath, everything looked fine, the impeller looks great, nothing is missing, im taking it to a PWC mechanic tomorrow to check mine out to make sure everything is in tip top shape and to get a tune up...my ski only has 100 hours, 1 owner, only thing cosmetically is the front sticker is faded, other than that its flawless, but im going to get the mechanic to do the performance upgrades, i'm stoked to tweak the performance of it...thanks for all your reply's guys, y'all are awesome and this is a BAD ASS forum!!!

+1

1997 gp1200

Just for comparison...

2000 GP1200R 34 hours. $2400

2004 XLT 1200 42 hours. $3500

Both bought a year ago with trailers

Did you at least check the compression?

Too late now but I would of taken it to the mechanic or local Yamaha dealer before I bought it, not after. I paid $85 for them to give mine a once over before purchasing. Best money you could of spent.

There's a ton of info on this site, research and read as much as you can. Remember to search for your question before posting, more times than not that questions already been asked, a few hundred times. It keeps the old dogs on here in a better mood which is good for all of us.

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information