Polaris msx 110 no top speed and only reving 6600rpm

I just bought a 2004 Polaris msx 110 and it only revs 6500-6600rpm and a top speed of 40-45mph, there is no difference if I drive between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and full throttle! Does anyone have any ideas of what can be wrong? Thanks! Hoses are all tight and turbo is working fine, no engine light niether!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

See my signature links for some starter info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by screamin_69 View Post
    I just bought a 2004 Polaris msx 110 and it only revs 6500-6600rpm and a top speed of 40-45mph, there is no difference if I drive between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and full throttle! Does anyone have any ideas of what can be wrong? Thanks! Hoses are all tight and turbo is working fine, no engine light niether!

Welcome to Green Hulk!
    Do you know the history of your MSX? Did it ever have engine troubles before? Was it ever rolled over?

I'd start by some basic checks.
    > Check the oil level and make sure it's not too high. Very common problem. See K447's signature link for proper details on oil level checking.
    > Check turbo wastegate... make sure you can move it downward about an inch and it should snap shut (stiff spring).
    > Pull turbo-to-intercooler hose and make sure there is no oil, foamy, gunk in there. If so... engine has ingested oil. If in doubt, pull the other intercooler-to-hardpipe-to-intake hose and pipe and check those too. And see if you can detect any gunk in your intercooler. This could foul your MAP sensors and make your ski run poorly.
    > It's possible you have a bad wastegate solenoid. This would limit you to about 5-6psi of boost... which since you said it feels the same past 1/2 throttle... could be the cause... your not getting any higher boost. Without some sort of real boost gauge (the 'BOOST' indicator on the display is really RPMs)... you could put 12vdc to the wastegate solenoid and listen for a click. When it clicks, it switches the "output" port from the side on which goes to the wastegate actuator to the top one with no hose on it. If it clicks and the air path is redirected... then the solenoid is good.
    > If all this checks out okay... I would try a electronic throttle body (ETB) relearn procedure. If somehow your throttle got out of whack in the ECU... it will need to relearn the full sweep of your throttle. Look back over some the previous MSX threads... or search for the details.

Let us know what you find.
    Cheers!

Thread Information