Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Egg Shaped Impeller Housing

Hope this is the right area.......

I just took my 98 Seadoo in for service as it was surging under full throttle. As it turned out, it was a case of some bad gas and a gummed up filter. That being said, when I went to pick it up, the service tech told me that my impeller housing was egg shaped and could be replaced to the tune to 1800.00. When I aksed if it needed to be replaced or if it effected the performance of the machine he could not give me any direct answers as I got the impression he really did not know. So....here I am.....what the hell does an egg shaped impeller housing mean and why would I want to replace it???

+1
    $1800 WOW sounds like there trying to rape your pocket book, do it yourself is my mantra, some shops would even go as far as to sabotage things to make more money, get a second oppinion on this But dont tell the next place anything other then, you just want them to check things over, if you cant do it yourself.

I was not really going to have them replace it....especially for that price!! What I was wondering though is how does an egg shaped impeller housing effect the perfomance/handling of the machine???

+1
    There is a wear ring in the housing that "wears". I have not seen any housing eggshape. Tho I have destroyed several 98 model pumps. If you end up changing the housing, you should go with newer model one. The `99 and up are all common and direct swap on the 98, as an assembly. You also can use the rubber oring gasket to seal pump to shoe, instead using a tube or silicone.

About your surging. Have all the grey fuel lines been changed out to standard automotive ones that are black? If not your fuel issues will keep repeating until motor melts down. Major problem with the grey TEMPO fuel lines with old gas sitting during off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo timebomb View Post
    There is a wear ring in the housing that "wears". I have not seen any housing eggshape.
    They checked the wear ring and said it was completely fine. He said that the only thing they could find wong with it was specifically the "impeller housing was egg shaped" in his words. I don't have to change anything as the housing or the pump was never removed I was just trying to figure out how this would effect the machine as I really got the impression he was told this by the tec but really had no idea why or how to answer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo timebomb View Post
    About your surging. Have all the grey fuel lines been changed out to standard automotive ones that are black? If not your fuel issues will keep repeating until motor melts down. Major problem with the grey TEMPO fuel lines with old gas sitting during off season.
    No, I still have the grey lines and was unaware of this issue!! This is also the first time in the 8 years I've owned it that this problem has happened. Can you please give me some more information or references I can look at in order to determine exactly what needs to be done??

***Full Background Story***

In the end, after it started to surge, I took it to the dealer with the mindset that I would sink a few hundred dollars into it but if it was any more I would get rid of it and get a new one. They tested everything and came up with a diagnosis of bad gas. The said that the compression was 130 on both sides and the wear ring was in great shape. They also said that the motor only had 145 hours on it in total.....guess I won't be selling it now!!! Due to this, I asked them to look at everything else to see if there was anything else that needed to be done while it was there and the egg shaped housing was all they could come up with but really did not seem all that interested in recommending it be changed....which is why I am here now.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	281944I just changed my grey fuel lines out, because I seen all the grey sedament in the main filter, it has to be done, mine is a 2000 rx and when I took all the lines off including the grey ones on the carbs all of them, they all had alot of crap inside them, here is a pic of one I just cut in half for you, also there was the same crap in the carb filters to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	281943  

Wow, that's brutal!!! When I pulled the front "fuel cup" with the small screen behind the front storage compartment (98 Seadoo GS) I did not have grey sludge but I did have a dark and light brown gooey type substance in the bottom of the cup and spattered on the screen. It took me three days to get it off my fingers!!Thanks for the heads up, I will change out the lines as soon as I can!!! I assume regular automotive black fuel line is acceptable.

+1
    thats what I used from o'reillys but you may not find the exact milimeter just get it close, I have used ones off by 1 mm befor and had no issues with leaking just be sure to get those clamps good and tight but dont strip them, what you see is pretty light in color now but it was darker when I pulled them off.

+1
    Its plain ole 1/4 and 5/16 fuel line. Stick with Gates, as the off brand tends to collapse when bent too much. The brown goo that everyone has mentioned over the last ten years is just dried gas residue thats washed back thru fuel system. Basically like varnish. Its old gas thats left from previous year or storing the ski outdoors all the time. Moden fuel breaks down. The grey particulate that shows up in water strainer is the actual metal from fuel selector valve. This fuel problem is common on most skis but especially to Seadoo since they have the largest share of the market and so many feet of fuel line through out out the system. I used to ride almost year round and never had fuel issues. Was not until I took off a year of hardcore riding did I start to notice the issues. So one by one all of my skis became infected. Anything short of replacing all of the grey Tempo lines in ski and cleaning everything fuel circulates thru will result in a dead motor given time to fuel related issues. Anytime ski does not respond like it always has without any throttle lag or hesitation, there is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately or expect a dead ski in short order. I have purchased dozens of skis with blown motors. Either fuel issues as mentioned or water ingestion was reason for failure. All could have been easily prevented if someone was on their toes and paying attention.

10. +1 by:

+1
    There is one possibility about your pump housing. On the 98 only, they use some thick stainless washers behind pump where mounts to ride shoe. If sometime in the past those were left off, it would bow the mounting ears of pump. From the housing being egg shaped, its not really possible and still have a round wear ring. So trying to think about what they coul be talking about. Another possibility is if housing has salt buildup between housing and bronze casting. I dont see this probable. Usually was seen on older aluminum housings with brass casting.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information