Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 with R&D filter

Put a rd power plenum filter on ski last weekend. Ran great. Now this weekend doesn't turn any better then 6000 rpms? I changed nothing from the week before. Put own air box back on runs perfect again.

Hi mate i have a 150 too, and put a r&d filter on it ! going to take it back off because , from what i have found out ! i could be wrong ! the cv carbs run on vacum , once you change the filters and let more air in
    it plays with the tuning , and can cause a lean condition ! Some body have any more input just new to this too Thanks

+1
    Don't use an aftermarket flame arrestor with the stock CV carbs. You'll burn it up. Use them with aftermarket or modified carbs only.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Don't use an aftermarket flame arrestor with the stock CV carbs. You'll burn it up. Use them with aftermarket or modified carbs only.
    I realize that. But when you get the filter from R&D it comes with 9 enrichment shims for the needles. 3 go under each needle. It worked fine the first weekend.

+1
    Learn something every day.

+1
    Learn something every day.
    Me too....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by x2ryder View Post
    I realize that. But when you get the filter from R&D it comes with 9 enrichment shims for the needles. 3 go under each needle. It worked fine the first weekend.
    From my limited understanding of CV carbs, the enrichment shims are for "mid-range"...so it's still possible that you will need to jet up on the highs.

Have you done a compression check? With you losing rpm's it worry's me that you might be running lean on the upper end.
    Done any plug chops to see what the plugs look like after running wide open for a bit?

Sure would help too if you could see the wash on the pistons.
    I have one of the Provision Fiber Optic Inspection Scopes that allows you a easy look at the tops of the pistons to see the wash. Money well spent since you can see what's going on and make adjustments before things get worse if it starts running lean.
    Last edited by TexasZ; 09-05-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added Provision info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by x2ryder View Post
    Just for info, you put the 3 shims under each needle along with the one original that was already there...so 4 in total under each one?

Yes 4 total. Plugs looked fine but I would agree it seems lean. Put the carbs back to stock and stock air box on it and it ran perfect. R&D isn't much help. I email them and all they said was are the cv openings on the carbs blocked? Which they are not. The thing that gets me is that one weekend it worked fine the next it didn't. Compression is 145 across the board with a snap on guage.

Sucks it didn't work correctly. I'd just run it stock unless you are running aftermarket carbs - thought you had some. Even messing with the stock arrestor causes (pulling the baffles) a lean condition....speaking from experience......new piston, rings, and cylinder. Seems like aftermarket heads and impeller along with handling mods are all you can do without turning it into a time bomb. I'm just happy keeping my 99's running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information