Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Polaris SL900 stator problems

I have recently purchased a 1996 Polaris sl900. with no spark.

The work has been done by a Polaris mechanic. I have replaced the CDI with an updated unit as well as the stator.

They reassembled the machine and had good spark when they started the machine it ran about thirty seconds and died and lost spark, The purple wire was bad.

Thinking that we had received a bad stator we purchased another stator only to have the same thing happen again..

When we purchased the ski several wires from the MFD had been removed.

The shop is giving up on the machine. I am at a loss as what my next step will be.

What could cause the stator to fail as soon as the machine starts?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have been following this forum for several months and appreciated the great information that I have received
    Last edited by K447; 09-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Your Polaris mechanic fails to impress.

The Purple wire failed? Would that be the Red wire with Purple stripe?

Since there were wiring changes made from stock, I cannot assume that any remaining wiring is correct. You, or someone, needs to work through the electrical system and verify every single wire is connected as it shoud be.

If I had to guess right now, I would say the LR voltage regulator module has shorted between Yellow and Ground, or the Yellow stator wire is mis-connected directly to ground. A short from Yellow to Ground will fry the Red/Purple to Yellow stator wire in short order, shortly after the battery is connected.

Thank you for your reply
    The purple wire that failed is the purple that comes from the stator it no longer get the correct ohm reading.The failure does not take place as soon as the battery is connected it sat for several days as I went to the shop and checked for spark. The failure happened within 30 seconds after the engine was started.The only wires missing are the wires from the mfd

+1
    Well, the Purple wire from the stator is for the exciter coil. This is the stator coil winding that provides the electrical energy to charge up the ignition circuit in the CDI, which in turn fires the ignition coils and spark plugs.

The other end of the exciter coil is connected to engine ground (black wires).

You say that with two new stators, both had the Purple wire fail. Do you know how it failed? Was it burned?

I am wondering if something was connected incorrectly. Otherwise, perhaps the new CDI is causing an excessive load on the exciter coil and burning it out.

The purple wire in the first stator shows no sign of being burnt. I have not seen the wire in the second stator it simply quit running after thirty seconds and when checked for spark no spark was found. I will double check the wiring out on Tuesday although I had checked it prior to taking it to the shop. The only wire not connected properly is the red/ purple coming from the stator that as I understand should be cut and extended to the orange terminal and the remaining red/purple reconnected to the red/purple terminal. I also understand the the small ground coming from the battery should be removed. I would not think not having done these upgrades would have caused this failure. Is their anything in the wiring from the MFD that could cause this to happen or would the cause most likely be in the black box or the CDI unit it self? Is there a way to test the CDI to see if is causing an excessive load? Thank you for your help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sly4tahoe View Post
    The purple wire in the first stator shows no sign of being burnt. I have not seen the wire in the second stator it simply quit running after thirty seconds and when checked for spark no spark was found. I will double check the wiring out on Tuesday although I had checked it prior to taking it to the shop. The only wire not connected properly is the red/ purple coming from the stator that as I understand should be cut and extended to the orange terminal and the remaining red/purple reconnected to the red/purple terminal.

I also understand the the small ground coming from the battery should be removed. I would not think not having done these upgrades would have caused this failure. Is their anything in the wiring from the MFD that could cause this to happen or would the cause most likely be in the black box or the CDI unit it self? Is there a way to test the CDI to see if is causing an excessive load? Thank you for your help
    That is not correct.

The wiring change for service bulletin PWC-00-05 would not affect the problem you are currently describing, of the engine stopping by itself while running.

To do the change, it is the Red/Purple wire from the CDI that gets rerouted to the Orange terminal. All other Red/Purple wires connect to the Red/Purple terminals.

The thin black wire from the battery to electrical box definitely should have been removed. That change is in part to prevent a thin wire overheat should the heavy black cable go bad. If the thin black wire is still in place then I really don't trust that the ignition upgrade was properly done.

I misstated, I do know that the red/purple that gets rerouted to the orange terminal is the wire from the CDI not the stator. That has not been done nor has the thin wire from the battery been removed. I will do these changes when I get the machine back home

The updated CDI was done prior to me purchasing the machine.. The CDI that is in the machine is 4010447 is that the latest and greatest? Before I buy another update kit could any of the things I described in my earlier post have caused the stator failure.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by sly4tahoe; 09-03-2012 at 10:57 AM.

I have purchased a new update kit. Does anyone know where I can get the instruction on how to install it? I also am installing a new mfd wireing harness The old one had been cut at the plug and all the wires had been cut at the point of connections for the various functions. These will all be replaced before I install the update kit, All other wires seem to be conected to the correct terminals I certainly don,t want to burn up another stator. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

+1
    The update kit should have come with printed instructions.

See my signature links. Somewhere in there is a link to the instructions, probably in the red domestic engine section.

Thank you I thought it should have come with instruction. I found it on the shelf at a Polaris dealer in Montana. When I called they told me their were instruction but when it showed up their we're none

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information