Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1997 GTX traction mats

So I plan to be on the water this week as soon as my coil gets here. But until then I'm doing some maintenance and checking everything over real good, and had a question for you guys. The stock traction mats are warped really bad on it. I want to get some hydro turf mats for it, but won't be able to afford those for a while since most of the money goes to my wife and 4 month old. So is there a way to drill the rivets, flatten them out and either rivet them back or glue them down? Or am I just stuck with the crappy looking and feeling mats?

+1
    I have the same problem with mine but they dont sound as bad as yours, you can drill out any rivet,making sure to use a small bit to do so, I bought a cheap riviter set at habor freight for little to nothing, sounds like it will work, I will probobly do the same.

+1
    I could drill them out, the main problem I'm thinking about is how exactly to flatten them. I was thinking of taking and putting them on the flat garage floor, putting a towel on top and using an iron. But that might be too much heat and melt them thru the towel

+1
    not a bad idea, go with the low setting and a few towels first and go from there, make sure its a flat surface, and it should work, but for real I think I would see what your working with when they come off you might just be able to rivit and flatten them out as you rivet along if need be use clamps.

+1
    oh and keep in mind that they have expanded and are now under some tention because of the rivets so you really dont know untill they come off, I rebuild boats and to put new bump rail on and make it plyable I set it out in the sun, so it bends easy.

+1
    Just remove the old mats and do without until you get a set of Black Tip with self adhesive backing. I shear the rivets and recess them slightly with small punch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01838.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	281975  

+1
    You will be putting a lot of time and effort into flattening the old mats with probably little success.

I would leave it alone until you can get new mats.

+1
    Well, I took one off to try it figuring the worst case is it won't work and I'll ride without them. I put a towel on top of it and had the iron at full temp and full steam to heat it up really good. When it was real hot after about 2 mins of the iron in each spot I put the mat between 2 pieces of wood and clamped them tight until it cooled. And it came out almost perfectly flat and stayed that way!

9. +1 by:

+1
    Getting back flat isnt so much a problem as fitting the now longer mats back on. You have to drill more holes for rivets. Then when you decide enough is enough, there are more holes to fill when you change them out.

+1
    Leave them on till you put hydro turf on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information