Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Diagnosis of A 300x

This is just a brief overview of what I did to diagnose a low rpm issue with my ski and also caught a small problem before it turned into a bigger one. Ski has 111 hours of hard riding.

Beginning of the week was out riding pretty rough day and hammering it for about 20 miles. Ski was down on rpm but still running real strong as we headed for our return back the ski started to bog and then oilp light came on. Opened the seat and there was oil everywhere. Thought it was the dreaded burp filled ski with oil and rode another 10 miles home at 30 mph got within a few hundred yards after flogging it last few miles and oilp light again Got it towed back and after a quick observation pulling plugs etc there was no obvious catastrophic failure. Got it home cleaned up all of the oil. not fun by the way. Re filled with oil and washed it out on hose. No obvious leaks and sounded great. No smoke etc. decided To do a compression test with ski at operating temp had 145 on cyl 1-3 and 165 #4 within spec of what kawi calls out for except for number 4 being a bit higher then the rest. Confirmed compression test a few times with same results. It was then decided to do a leak down test to verify the compression test and narrow down any problem areas. Did leak down test and 1-3 where way off the chart over 50-70% leak by. #4 was decent in then9-10% range I could not believe the results after verifying the test on my other ski and getting 9%across the board I knew my new gauge was working correctly. So after consulting with a couple people I decided to pull the valve cover off to verify the cylinders where at TDC and also pulled the intake and exhaust top pipe off. Re ran test and bingo confirmed that the exhaust valves where all leaking. As air was rushing out the exh manifold. It was then time to check the valve clearances they where no where close all out of range all super tight. Ok decision time go through and adjust valves and prob be good to go or pull head and have it gone through and checked out. After some discussion decided it was not worth the risk to no have the head gone through and thank god we did. As you will see in the pictures below every intake valve is eroded and shot and on its way out and the exh all though better where not far behind. So what did we learn by all this. Well don't take the obvious answer as the only one. dig a little deeper spend the time and do a complete diagnosis and make sure its done right. Because you never know the motor you save may be your own. This is a very good example of that. Hope this helps some in looking after there skis and or diagnosing potential issues. Thanks to warren WaZ for all his help trouble shooting and helping and verifying my test and Corey as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346567102.683409.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	281995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346567133.337939.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	281996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346567142.054728.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	281997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346567152.041394.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	281998
    Last edited by FIRE0021; 09-02-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    What do you think the cause is?

If it was someone else I'd say; you're not riding it regularly, not blowing out the waterbox correctly or had removed the filter.

Maybe the entire exhaust, waterbox and filter needs a redesign?

I was thinking about moving the waterbox to the other side?

Let us know.

Cheers, Mal.

Banned User
    +1

Diagnosis of A 300x

Im not sure I would say my post Ride is better the. Avg my water box never has any moisture in it the next day after a ride. Exh filter is in and ride every weekend as can be seen by the amount of hrs in a year. That being said I never fog my ski but that may have to be part of my post ride care now if it will help reduce the rust on the intake valves. I never did it because I only thought it helped the sc witch already gets enough oil. Poured some solvent in the head and all the exh valves are leaking intakes are holding. So def was time to be gone through. I would also say that valve clearances should be checked as the book states at or before a 100 hrs especially if u ride hard.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    So now we have to do all the engine mods and rebuild over the ph next week .........Better charge up both handsets me thinks Tommy

and yes I agree Tommy could do a bit better job with post ride care , but remember he does live next to the beach , so more fogging or spraying it directly into cylinders post ride may be needed mist TK

Waz
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 09-02-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Banned User
    +1

Diagnosis of A 300x

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    So now ww have to do all the egine mods and rebuild over the ph next week .........Better charge up both handsets me thinks Tommy

and yes I agree Tommy could do a bit better job with post ride care , but remember he does live next to the beach , so more fogging or spraying it directly into cylinders post ride may be needed mist TK

Waz
    Maybe the 2014 will have a cylinder fogging port lol yea looks like I'm gonna have to stock up on more fogging oil. And use it in the engine now good learning experience for me and everyone else I would still say for the work this motor has put in its done a great job. Just needs a little Aussie refresh now.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I fog mine after every ride, even if I know I'm going out in a week. I figure the worse that will happen is I'll have to clean the intercooler more often. I don't think fogging oil clogs it like engine oil though anyway.

I figure fogging is more important now given I have very little, or basically no engine oil being pushed through the catch can.

Thanks for sharing.

Mal.

+1
    That sucks. Good that you caught it before a valve dropped out or something else equally catastrophic took place. I was going to inquire on the other thread if you had detected where the pressure was leaking to... wanted to leave that to you though.

As far as post ride fogging helping this condition... after having all this stuff apart for a decent look; I am of the opinion that fogging through the SC port as per the manual does little or nothing to lubricate the combustion chamber or it's components.

Perhaps as Waz stated, excessive fogging or more direct cylinder lubrication may have a more positive effect.

I don't know what mods you have run or if you feel that they have possibly contributed to this condition.

Thank You for sharing the info, as knowledge is power.

Banned User
    +1

Diagnosis of A 300x

Scom only . No other motor mods everything else is completely stock
    All the pistons look real good as well. No sign of detonation or erosion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Scom only . No other motor mods everything else is completely stock
    All the pistons look real good as well. No sign of detonation or erosion.
    Gotcha. You knew what I was thinking with that inquiry. Those pistons / cylinders look to be in excellent condition from that pic.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    That sucks. Good that you caught it before a valve dropped out or something else equally catastrophic took place. I was going to inquire on the other thread if you had detected where the pressure was leaking to... wanted to leave that to you though.

As far as post ride fogging helping this condition... after having all this stuff apart for a decent look; I am of the opinion that fogging through the SC port as per the manual does little or nothing to lubricate the combustion chamber or it's components.

Perhaps as Waz stated, excessive fogging or more direct cylinder lubrication may have a more positive effect.

I don't know what mods you have run or if you feel that they have possibly contributed to this condition.

Thank You for sharing the info, as knowledge is power.
    Fogging your engine WILL definatly help and not HINDER it

I fog mine till the engine starts to stumble heavily , at that point i KILL it straight away , if you then pull a plug you will see that it has migrated hte spray into and onto the cylinder,

I always direct fog cylinders if storing for any extended amount of time.

and too much fogging as WAY better than NONE at all

big deal if you need to clean your cooler from time to time.

also the fogging oil being such a light film actually gets dragged it to the engine more so than pooling in the cooler as people may think, all the pooling oil is from the CC

Waz

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information