1993 SPX questions

Hello.. I'm new to the site and i have to say its awesome! I'm going to look at a 93 SPX for sale. Just wanted to know what to look for when inspecting the ski? Owner says the only issue it has is at WOT the ski will die and it takes a few times to get started back up.. Other than that he says it runs great. He's asking $595 with trailer and it has title.. Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    I was in the same possition you are in last week with a 2000 rx that I bought, however mine ran fine, but when I started really getting into the maintnace aspect of it nothing was ever done and have been working on it all week to bring it back to par, do a compression test befor you buy, check the fuel filter, Pop off a few fuel lines and see if there is any build up in them, if they are grey lines they will have to be replaced, check out hull/keel for how bad it is for wear, make sure that when in the water or on the hose that the water pump pisses good, look in the jet pump and crwl under the ski to have a look see in it there as well, look at the impeller to see how dinged up it is, the more its messed up and dinged the wourse condition your wear ring will be, check for oil in the hull, sounds like a fuel problem it has, the carbs will have to be cleaned and carb filters to, maybe even need to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking fuel problem but wasn't sure on something that old.

+1
    The `93 SPX uses coast guard approved black rubber lines. Not so prone to issues as newer skis. But the old fuel problems exist the same. If ski is weathered, expect problems to arise. Compression needs to be around 150 with a decent gauge. More importantly is both cylinders are close to same readings. A low battery will yield low readings. Ski should start easily, even if not been ridden for a while. If the motor is warm when you first look it over, they have already fired it up to make sure it will start when you show up. Strike one. The ski can smoke a little or a lot on the older models, but should stop after a minute or so, when in the water. On the hose make take a while. Look for discolored paint on motor parts. If ski appears to be in good visual condition, a test ride is next. Wither you or the owner need to ride it around for 10-20 minutes. The kill ski and let it sit another 10 minutes. Should start right back up with no lag time. If problem, you have carb issues to deal with. This older ski can have two potential knocks that are acceptable. One is the steering cable rattling against the right side of hull. Easy fit, just tie wrap it to something or ignore if confirmed. The other one is drive shaft knock, It is usuall heard when idle drops below 1400 rpm. It will come and go at low rpm but soon as any gas is applied the noise stops. A bad knock is piston slap. It will rattle and eventually get quieter as rpm is increased. When riding throttle response should be instantanious and smooth power all the way thru. Any studdering or laying over are issues needing addressed. Cavitation, usually easy to resolve is another thing you should look for. Usually most noticeable at take off. Ski might rev up and not go anywhere without feathering throttle. Any load will usually repeat the same problem. all fixable, but not ridable until addressed. All of this will either get you started or worried. These are fun little skis and top out about 45 mph on a good day. Very agile and can get some serious air on some waves. Basically identical to the 92 XP. Not much you can do to improve the power, but able to make it handle better with some aftermarket parts that are still floating around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5L85E65Ma3ke3I33Jec8paf39fdaefed11158.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	282129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5Lb5K15He3K63L33Hfc8pb718190ecb591876.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	282130

So the ski is in really good condition. Easy to start. Didn't see any smoke while running for a few seconds though... Told it has very low hrs. The impeller looked in great shape. No leaks. I'm meeting at the lake tomorrow to test. Any other things I should check while in the water?

Thread Information