Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

09 sho rev limiter

hi guys im having an issue with the ski and would appreciate some input.my ski started hitting the limiter during wot holeshots after an intake and grate change.if i hit the throttle halfway it will accelerate fine otherwise it will just redline.with just bov,free flow,and a 3" cone intake the ski wasnt hitting the limiter.after changing the original 3" cone to a 6" velocity stack cone and installing an r&d grate it started hitting the limiter right away on the holeshot.the ski does not have a ribbon delete at all.i am surprised at the change the filter change alone made.what would be the best route to take ? reprop ? somehow increase redline ?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hialeahchiko305 View Post
    hi guys im having an issue with the ski and would appreciate some input.my ski started hitting the 7500rpm limiter during wot holeshots after an intake and grate change.if i hit the throttle halfway it will accelerate fine otherwise it will just redline.with just bov,free flow,and a 3" cone intake the ski wasnt hitting the limiter.after changing the original 3" cone to a 6" velocity stack cone and installing an r&d grate it started hitting the limiter right away on the holeshot.the ski does not have a ribbon delete at all.i am surprised at the change the filter change alone made.what would be the best route to take ? reprop ? somehow increase redline ?
    The limiter is not 7500 it's more like 7780

not sure how accurate the factory gauges are but the needle was reading more like 7500ish on the ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    hi guys im having an issue with the ski and would appreciate some input.my ski started hitting the 7500rpm limiter during wot holeshots after an intake and grate change.if i hit the throttle halfway it will accelerate fine otherwise it will just redline.with just bov,free flow,and a 3" cone intake the ski wasnt hitting the limiter.after changing the original 3" cone to a 6" velocity stack cone and installing an r&d grate it started hitting the limiter right away on the holeshot.the ski does not have a ribbon delete at all.i am surprised at the change the filter change alone made.what would be the best route to take ? reprop ? somehow increase redline ?
    Jim the limiter on this 1.8 engines is 7780, because i have a friend that he is hitting 7680 rpms we tested with a tiny tach

+1

09 sho rev limiter

SteveD and myself were hitting 7680rpm time and time again and thought we were hitting the rev limiter after a few prop and nozzle changes and still being stuck at 7680rpm steve worked out we were infact on the boost limiter.
    Were in the UK so assume our cooler air played a major factor

thanks for the information guys.im definately only around 7500rpm.im thinking of doing the ribbon delete next but will that actually put me on the rev limiter or will it trigger the boost limiter which it seems im already on.what would be a good step next a re prop or a boost clamp ?
    Last edited by FXSlowKroozer; 09-03-2012 at 11:03 AM.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1706 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Jim the limiter on this 1.8 engines is 7780, because i have a friend that he is hitting 7680 rpms we tested with a tiny tach
    Hello Mike, You are correct the soft limiter comes in about 100 rpm earlier.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    SteveD and myself were hitting 7680rpm time and time again and thought we were hitting the rev limiter after a few prop and nozzle changes and still being stuck at 7680rpm steve worked out we were infact on the boost limiter.
    So the boost limiter sounds like its hitting the rev limiter ? Just checking because my 09 SHO is doing the exact same thing, just wondering if it's the boost limiter I'm hearing and not the rev limiter. Guess a reflash is the only cure for that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    So the boost limiter sounds like its hitting the rev limiter ? Just checking because my 09 SHO is doing the exact same thing, just wondering if it's the boost limiter I'm hearing and not the rev limiter. Guess a reflash is the only cure for that.
    both our skis felt the same when the limiter came into play..you could feel the ski backing off the power and slowly letting you have it back just to take it off again all within say 200 yards WOT, my buddy flashed his straight away and never looked back (jerrys V TEC st 2 ) and i carried on with my head in the sand and slowly drove myself mad switching props and nozzles and keeping my ski down on rpm's and power as i did not have the cash to do a reflash..
    After riding my buddys SHO the weekend and feeling how strong and constant the power is and how smooth compaired to mine i can say i will be shipping off my ECU to Jerry ASAP

ive been doing alot of reading apparently when boost climbs over 7psi and rpms are over 7550rpm the boost limiter kicks in which explains why its cutting out at that rpm on me.the boost limiter can kick in at any rpm above 7550 but the rev limiter is only at 7780.it seems prop changing will keep your peak boost under the boost limiter activation rpm but its sort of just masking the issue when you still have some rpm left until the limiter and can take advantage of the boost increase.i use to hit 68mph stock now im only hitting 65mph completely getting out of the holeshot until the boost limiter leaves.im going to get the boost clamp so i can get rid of the damn boost limiter and take advantage of the extra rpm left.its only $200 and i dont have to pull apart the prop.its hot and im already hitting the limiter with just an intake change so i know i will on it again once its cooler and i pull the ribbon out.i will keep you guys updated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information