Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha FZR - Dead Battery

Hey Boys & Girls,

My 2011 FZR has got a dead battery from not being used during winter.

I was wondering if there is anything I need to know before I charge the battery?

Would I be able to charge the battery with the terminals still on? Reason I ask is that I don't want to take the terminals off then have the Jetski ECU go into lock down mode. Just can't be bothered for the hassle.

Can you let me know the best/safe way to charge up my ski again

Cheers in advance

+1
    It's OK to charge the battery with the terminals connected. If you're still using a lead-acid battery (rather than a gel or sealed) be sure to top up the battery w/ distilled water if it needs it. Any 12v battery charger should be ok. To keep it from happening again, you might want to invest $12 in a trickle charger at WalMart - assuming your ski is close enough to an elec. outlet.

+1
    Regular charger not likely to work. Battery tender only way to fully restore and desulfate battery to like new conditions. It may take days to restore it. Winters and long periods of extended discharge KILL lead batteries period! You may get away with it once or even a few times but not for long.

I either remove batteries for winter and tender. Or in season tender them when not in use. Just buy some tender leads and perm attach to battery so easy to plug in when not using under seat. You can even close seat over the thin cable.

About 35 bucks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRBlue View Post
    Regular charger not likely to work. Battery tender only way to fully restore and desulfate battery to like new conditions. It may take days to restore it. Winters and long periods of extended discharge KILL lead batteries period! You may get away with it once or even a few times but not for long.

I either remove batteries for winter and tender. Or in season tender them when not in use. Just buy some tender leads and perm attach to battery so easy to plug in when not using under seat. You can even close seat over the thin cable.

About 35 bucks
    is this what you're talkin about...

http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-0-75a.html

+1
    Yeppers. Sometimes a little cheaper on Ebay. Use them on all my cars, thats where I learned about them years ago

+1
    I have heard good stuff about these too. Schumacher products good stuff

+1
    A conventional battery charger is ok to use, especially if you want to ride sometime in the next few hours. A tender style only charges at a low rate, which will take a long time on a dead or almost dead battery. A tender is the best long term maintenance deal though. Note: You are "better off" charging a battery than jump starting and letting the boat electrics get it charged back up. A dead battery puts a big load on the alternator of the boat(or car) to get the battery charged up. That creates alot of heat and can take its toll on the life of the alternator(especially in a pwc that has a small one to begin with). Not saying I wouldn't jump start one to go riding, just saying its not the best.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    A conventional battery charger is ok to use, especially if you want to ride sometime in the next few hours. A tender style only charges at a low rate, which will take a long time on a dead or almost dead battery. A tender is the best long term maintenance deal though. Note: You are "better off" charging a battery than jump starting and letting the boat electrics get it charged back up. A dead battery puts a big load on the alternator of the boat(or car) to get the battery charged up. That creates alot of heat and can take its toll on the life of the alternator(especially in a pwc that has a small one to begin with). Not saying I wouldn't jump start one to go riding, just saying its not the best.
    I think one of ours is going bad; I had to charge it for the first time last week.
    They are tiny little things but pricey, I guess I'll be replacing one of our soon.

Thanks for the advice guys! Appreciate it

Its always good to come to Greenhulk knowing that you will get good information from fellow riders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information