+1

2006 rxp doesn't start - just the two beeps, no clicking, nothing

I wanted to make sure the problem really is the starter relay before I order one up. I had understood that if it was a relay, that it would click, while the start button was depressed.

When I try to start the ski, nothing happens. no noise, no clicks, nothing. Just the two beeps when plugging in the key.

I have candoo pro, so can see that the start button is registering when it is monitoring the ski. when I "short" the relay terminals, the starter cranks. Sounds like a relay problem, except it is only about 20 hours/1 year old. Is there a way to confirm that there is a proper signal from the MPEM to the relay when the start button is being pushed? When I unplug those two wires (purple and brown/yellow) from the relay, I get a long beep when I plug in the dess key, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see across those two terminals when I hit the start switch. It's not so much the cost of the relay, it's the time wasted waiting for it, then finding out there's another problem.

Any ideas on how to test that the signal from the start button is getting through to the relay?

thanks.

+1
    Get a voltmeter and test the connector that goes to the relay. In other models and pretty sure that in your's the same you should have battery voltage on the relay conector. This way you will make sure if its the relay or the wires.

+1
    so i tried to measure a couple of things.

between purple wire (on wiring diagram is +12V) and battery ground, there is constant about 12.3V after inserting the DESS key. When pressing start button, nothing changes.

between the two wires on that plug, purple and brown/yellow, there is 12.3V when the ski is powered up. When pressing start button, there is a voltage drop to about 11.8 V. This lasts until the fuel pump shuts off after the start button is released, then goes back up to 12.3V

Is this proper behaviour for that plug?

Thanks.
    Last edited by speeder; 09-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.

+1
    sounds like a bad ground wire connectionto motor or the positive wire to the starter motor is loose.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crisistc View Post
    sounds like a bad ground wire connectionto motor or the positive wire to the starter motor is loose.
    starter motor and wiring must be good, as when the starter solenoid is shorted, the starter spins.

not sure about bad ground wire connection to motor.

did a few more diagnostic measurement.

Not sure if the solenoid is a switched ground system, or a switched power, but according to the wiring diagram, the purple wire is a +12V, and the brown/yellow is a ground. When the DESS key is inserted, the purple wire goes live with 12V, and only drops slightly due to the fuel pump running momentarily when the start key is depressed. Likewise, the brown/yellow wire is always grounded, and doesn't change when the start key is depressed.

I've ordered up a solenoid anyway, as it would be good to have a spare around. How to test the solenoid on the bench?

Could this be a bad ECM?

Thanks.

+1
    update :

swapped out starter relay for a new one. no change.

checked wires running into the starter relay again.
    - purple is constant 12V
    - no ground on the brown/yellow . ie test light doesn't light up on this wire when start button pushed.

tested continuity of brown yellow from ecm on engine to plug, good wire.

so I'm thinking bad ECM.

in the mean time, I jury-rigged a momentary switch that gives 12V to the starter relay to start the engine. It starts up fine when the key is put on the post. The start/stop button is able to stop the engine.

Is there anything else that would cause the computer NOT to send a start signal to the starter relay? CPS? TPS?

kinda lost now. hoping not to have to spend $$ on an ECM. any ideas?
    Last edited by speeder; 09-08-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Well, you already confirmed what I was going to write. The ECU takes the brown/yellow wire to ground when the start button is pressed, which allows current to flow through the starter relay. Given the tests you have performed, the only two possible things are either a bad ECU or a bad connector pin on B-31 on the B ECU connector. (or could be a intermittent brown/yellow wire, that tests good with your meter, but breaks the connection when you connect it.)

If you don't already know this, the connectors used on the ECU are really fragile. They can look OK but not make good contact. If I were you, I would inspect the B-31 connector pin really good under high magnification, and look at the B-31 pin on the ECU for corrosion, before condemning the ECU.

First thing to do is pop off the B connector, and when you put the key on, you should see 12V at pin B-31 on the B connector. (DONT press your probe into the contact! It will destroy it instantly. Just touch it lightly...) Then take a magnifying lens and inspect contact B-31....

+1
    thx sea dood. I will check it out tomorrow.

+1
    update.

checked the plug going into the ecm. no corrosion, everything looks very clean/new. there doesn't seem to be any surface problems. again there is continuity from plug to plug.

I borrowed an ecm from a friend's rxp and plugged it in with his key. two beeps . . . good. start button . . . nothing. same as with my ecm. So for the moment, I am ruling out the ecm.

plugged the candoo pro back in, and there seems to be a problem with the TPS.

there is a TPS reading that is supposed to mean that there is a problem with the TPS. 8.624 I think. That's what my boat is showing. I am not able to reset the TPS with the candoo pro. there is fault every time I try it, and then the computer throws a code P1104, which is a code for TPS adaption cancelled.

i've been able to start the boat with the rigged switch, and it runs fine. goes WOT. hits top speed. I keep the original plug plugged into a separate starter relay that isn't hooked up to anything just to keep the computer from throwing a check engine code.

any ideas at this point?

Thread Information