Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Newly purchased 95 Sea Doo XP

Hi, I just bought this ski yesterday. Ski runs, go across the water just fine, but the previous owners looks like they've done ZERO maintenance.

1) Where can I get a manual ?
    2) What rotax engine model is in this thing got?
    3) What are "known issues" I need to worry about or pre-emptively fix?
    4) What should normal compression show on this thing?

Im sure all of these are covered in past threads... I tried searching and found an old thread where I should do away with separate oil/gas and convert to premix, is that really necessary?

Any advice appreciated, or just link me to old threads ... I don't mind reading old threads at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5Gf5P15M53F93N33H9c92e7f2a1e0129c163b.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	282070

+1
    I google your seadoo and you should find a free link for a manual, clean fuel filter, check lines for build up, if they are grey lines replace all of them, I would pull the carb and rebuild it, or at the very least clean the filters, clean the fuel reserve switch as well and make sure it functions right, your compression will be around 130 for that year, what is your comp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburn View Post
    I google your seadoo and you should find a free link for a manual, clean fuel filter, check lines for build up, if they are grey lines replace all of them, I would pull the carb and rebuild it, or at the very least clean the filters, clean the fuel reserve switch as well and make sure it functions right, your compression will be around 130 for that year, what is your comp.

Hey thanks for reply. I was out riding it all day. Did pretty well over all.

No grey lines, they're all black. The carbs seem okay, so I may just leave them. Filter replacement is good idea, will do.

Compression is only showing 90, but I'm not sure if my gauge is correct. That's COLD compression, dry test. But I read where it shouldn't be running at that low of compression??? But it ran all day today.

I did notice the impeller seems to be whining at various times, not really continuous, seems to come and go at different RPMs. Are those hard to change... any threads or vids ??? I'll search as well, there's a lot of good info. here, it's just hard for me to find.

+1
    Compression should be around 150 on that ski. Find another gauge to confirm. Leave the oil injection. It works fine. You need to check the small lines running from injection pump to intake manifold. That old of a ski and some lines will tend to disintegrate. Replace with oem tubing from Seadoo dealer. There are very small internal filters in all Mikuni watercraft carbs. After so many years will get clogged. Someone may have already changed fuel lines and cleaned carbs, but any hesitation on acceleration or surging, stop riding and get fixed or motor will melt down. Common problem with the great gas we now have. Great little ski. Was the fastest ski made back then. One heck of a wave jumper. First of the X4 design hulls. Lightweight and fun to throw around. I still have mine sitting in the back, but one day...

The impellor for the earlier models will make a slightly metallic sound loading and unloading in water. But you should remove steering and thrust nozzles to chekc oil in pump housing. Its straight forward with no surprises. Any older manual will cover it fairly well. You want to make sure the oil is black or dark, not watery or milky. Not a bad time to pull cover and replace oil just to be safe, but its your call. Pump housings and shafts are expensive when have to be replaced.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo timebomb View Post
    Compression should be around 150 on that ski. Find another gauge to confirm. Leave the oil injection. It works fine. You need to check the small lines running from injection pump to intake manifold. That old of a ski and some lines will tend to disintegrate. Replace with oem tubing from Seadoo dealer. There are very small internal filters in all Mikuni watercraft carbs. After so many years will get clogged. Someone may have already changed fuel lines and cleaned carbs, but any hesitation on acceleration or surging, stop riding and get fixed or motor will melt down. Common problem with the great gas we now have. Great little ski. Was the fastest ski made back then. One heck of a wave jumper. First of the X4 design hulls. Lightweight and fun to throw around. I still have mine sitting in the back, but one day...

The impellor for the earlier models will make a slightly metallic sound loading and unloading in water. But you should remove steering and thrust nozzles to chekc oil in pump housing. Its straight forward with no surprises. Any older manual will cover it fairly well. You want to make sure the oil is black or dark, not watery or milky. Not a bad time to pull cover and replace oil just to be safe, but its your call. Pump housings and shafts are expensive when have to be replaced.
    Yea, this little ski is FAST, my friend's ski has speedo and was beside me at we hit 50 in calm area... (if his speedo is accurate). Had soooo much fun on it today !

Hey thanks very much !!!! Yea, you actually described the impeller VERY well... better than me... it has a slight metal type of sound... and it's NOT very loud, you really have to be listening to hear it ! Ok, that's good, it may be nothing. THANKS a ton.... I'll check the oil in pump housing as suggested nevertheless, I'd rather prevent a problem than pay for repairing one.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Yea free online manual
    720cc twin carbs 85hp
    known common issues :INOP fuel gauge and trim motor or module Grey fuel lines replaced
    Also get the HIN# ran by a dealer to verify the RECALL for the fuel tank has been replaced by seadoo free of charge ..

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +1 to the above statements...I would start by reading all the sticky threads at the top of this section (2stroke performance section) there is a thread on how to change out all the fuel lines. (DIY fuel system cleaning) after that you can fix the gas gauge if you need to. either repair it or buy new. may want to inspect the wear ring ( pull the pump), and replace the pump oil of you have not...betting its bone dry. check the exhaust for pin hole leaks. if there are some have the pipe welded. they usually start leaking around the caps tha are welded in. make sure the bilge system is working correctly. look in the back of the pump and there should be two "straws" looking back at you from the top inside of the pump. those go to the little black boxes with tubes in the bottom rear of the craft. I would also replace the carbon ring. its the tube that is over the drive shaft, in the hull, before the shaft exits out the rear of the craft. you can find all these parts in the OEM replacement parts link at the top of the board with microfishe.

on another note, you may want to check the local laws regarding pulling a tube. most states require you to carry a spotter and have room on the craft for the tuber typically a 3 seater ski.

Welcome to GH...thats a good looking 95, most are faded beyond recognition.

+1
    Man, you guys are GREAT.. I hope I can give back to this forum. I've since found and downloaded 600+ .pdf page manual.

I did NOT mention it but the fuel gauge DOES NOT WORK. Idiot light is on and it's NOT a big deal to me, but I will get it fixed.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH !!!

Where can I find out how to check bilge pump?

I'm getting quite a large TO DO list... but I can't thank you guys enough, I've got tons of reading / learning to do.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Seadoo has 2 black square "pick up bailers" in the bottom of the bilge on each side of the pump tunnel. They are not mechanical and work from the "thrust" or water moving through the venturi (the thing the steering nozzle is attached) if you look inside that you'll see 2 little tubes stickin out from the top, they have hoses going to those bailers in the bilge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Seadoo has 2 black square "pick up bailers" in the bottom of the bilge on each side of the pump tunnel. They are not mechanical and work from the "thrust" or water moving through the venturi (the thing the steering nozzle is attached) if you look inside that you'll see 2 little tubes stickin out from the top, they have hoses going to those bailers in the bilge.

Ok, yea, I see those, THANKS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information