Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

02 Virage Will Not Run. Any Ideas?

Hello,
    A friend of mine has a Virage that is giving him fits. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Below is his description of the problem.

I have a 2002 Polaris Virage. July 2011 it quit working when towing the sea poo jet ski I had, stranding me on the north coast of Kelleys Island.
    In the fall of 2011 I took the Polaris to a repair shop. He looked at it, pinched off a gas line, and the thing started up! He seemed to know what he was doing. He told me to go online and buy an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and install it myself and it would solve my problems.

Well, I ordered an aftermarket (Cosmo Racing) adjustible fuel pressure regulator from eBay ($100) and installed it on the Polaris. Took it to Indian Lake and got the ski to start, and run. I was very proud of my mechanical skills! Put the 2 kids on the back and we went across the lake to the beach. Stopped at the beach for a while, and the ski would not start. Had to get someone to tow me across the lake.

Took the Polaris to the shop again and asked to please get it started so that I could sell it.

After having the ski for a week or so, the owner told me that the EMM computer chip was bad, and that piece cost $1,200.00. He charged me $240.00 for that sage advice.
    I found an EMM for $750 and installed it and then discovered that the bendix and starter had chewed each other up. I put a new starter and bendix in the machine, and finally got it started, but it will not go over about 30 mph. Any ideas?

I know it's not a very technically detailed description. Sorry about that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Banned User
    +1
    As far as I know you can't just swap an EMM. It needs to be matched to the injectors. Having your original EMM repaired would have been a better choice most likely. When you replaced the bendix, did you check for damage to the flywheel magnets or stator?

When adding the adjustable regulator, did you check fuel pressure to make sure you were operating in the proper range?

I am sure Keith will chime in here with more.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    So who is going to actually be working on this machine now?

It would work best for us to directly communicate with the hands that will be doing the work.

The advice and changes described to date seem less than optimal.

See my signature links for useful info and the common repairs these Ficht fuel injected machines need.

Hello again:

I have to admit, Jeff is talking about my 2002 Polaris Virage i jet ski. I have owned this ski for about two years, and it ran like a champ until 6 July 2011. On that date the timing chain on my 2006 Sea Poo GTI w/ 47 hours broke, which puked the engine. I took the Polaris out to pick up the Sea Poo and tow it in. The Polaris ran perfectly, like always.

I got to the Sea Poo and began towing. Nice and slow, as I did not want to flood the towed engine or overtax the Polaris. As a matter of fact I was going so slow that sundown came while I was still in the water. As it was getting darker, the Polaris shut down, just like it had run out of gas, although it still had gas in the tank. I couldn’t get the Polaris started, and, of course, with a broken timing chain the Sea Poo was history.

I got off the Polaris and into the water, which was chest deep along the rocky shore. I pushed and pulled the beasts for an hour, in the dark, along the northern coast of Kelleys Island Ohio, until I came to a dock where I could tie the skis off for the night. That was the end of the jet ski holiday.

I took the Polaris to a place in Fremont Ohio to a shop owned by a reputed Polaris "guru." I showed him the ski, and he tried to start it by pushing the start button. No good. He lifted off the seat, and bent the fuel return line in half with his fingers. He pushed “start” and by gum the sucker started. He told me that the fuel pressure regulator was bad, they always go bad, and that I should buy an aftermarket FPR and install it on the ski myself. He told me the correct psi was 25 - 30. I asked him if he would install a FPR on my ski if I paid him and he indicated that he did not want to do the job, and that I should do it myself. He also said that anyone who does not use synthetic oil in their machines, which included me, is a complete idiot. He also said that you should put synthetic oil in every gasoline tank because the parts inside the gasoline lines need lubrication too.

Anyway, I left his place and took the Polaris home. I ordered a Cosmo Racing adjustable FPR from the Internet and installed it on the Polaris, in the fuel return line as the guru had instructed. I took the ski to the lake and sure enough, after some adjustment, it started! I took it out and raced around the lake, and it seemed to perform as good as new. I was proud of my mechanical abilities! I put the two kids on the back and we went across the lake. 5 minutes later we stopped at the beach, but I did not “beach” the ski, as I never do. I held the ski and after a while I told the kids we needed to head out on the lake. I got on the Polaris and pushed the start button but while it would turn over, it would not catch. I kept grinding until I gave up and someone pulled me across the lake and I took the ski out of the water.

I took the Polaris to my auto mechanic but he said he couldn’t do anything without a code reader. He did confirm that the FPR was properly adjusted. I looked on the various forums and found information as to how to make your own code reader, but I eventually gave up this spring and took the Polaris back to the Fremont guru. I asked him to just get the ski started so that I could sell it and I would buy another ski. I figured it would be much easier to sell a ski that ran than a ski that did not run.

After a week the guru told me that my ski had a bad EMM, and those cost $1,200. I told him I intended to sell the machine and did not want to invest that much, especially when I did not know for sure that the EMM was all that was wrong with it. I paid the guru $240 for this sage advice and I took my non-functional Polaris home, I thought in the same condition as when I brought it.

I have a friend who is a mechanic and he asked if he could buy the Polaris and its trailer as-is for a decent price. I agreed. He took the Polaris and got an EMM for $750.00. After that, he found out that the bendix and starter had teeth chewed off, and there were bad spots. He bought a new starter and bendix and eventually got the ski to start. Because the Polaris never had a problem with the bendix or starter before the visit to the guru, we figure he chewed off the teeth when he repeatedly started and stopped the engine trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Now my mechanic friend has got the Polaris running, but it won’t go over mid-throttle speed, or about 30 mph. I know that when it was running well before 6 July it could go 45 - 50 without a problem. He wonders if there are two jets and one is not working. I do not know if he has checked the compression, but there was never any problem with compression before. I have no idea what is wrong with the Polaris, and I mentioned this problem to Jeff, who I purchased a Yamaha XLT 1200 from last year. He initiated this thread. I will monitor the thread and direct my friend to it so that if anyone can help he can go directly to you. I know he will really appreciate the help, and it will make me feel better if he is able to enjoy the ski that I sold him.

I have switched to Yamaha, and have two XLT 1200's. They are the most comfortable, powerful, and stable skis that I have ever experienced.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions. My friend and I really appreciate your help.

ZARDOZ

former sea doo owner, will never own one again.

+1
    Well, that back story may be useful, but there are diagnostics and analysis to be done if we are to get this Virage i running properly and back on the water.

There are plenty of unknowns and things that will need to be confirmed, checked, or whatever.

So who will be doing the actual work, and are they going to be participating in this thread?

Austin Jr will be the one who will be working on the ski. He is very mechanically inclined. I have alerted him to this thread and have directed him to sign up and respond. I will be talking to him at my office this week, and I will be sure that he responds by that time. He needs help, and with all of the mechanical minds out there he should be able to get it. I really appreciate your responses.

Thanks.

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

+1
    You say you kept "GRINDING" until you gave up. Isn't it possible that there was already damage done to the starter and bendix when you brought it to him????

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    Hello again:

I got on the Polaris and pushed the start button but while it would turn over, it would not catch. I kept grinding until I gave up and someone pulled me across the lake and I took the ski out of the water.

After that, he found out that the bendix and starter had teeth chewed off, and there were bad spots. He bought a new starter and bendix and eventually got the ski to start. Because the Polaris never had a problem with the bendix or starter before the visit to the guru, we figure he chewed off the teeth when he repeatedly started and stopped the engine trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Do not believe so. "Grinding" was probably too strong of a word. All I did was keep pushing the start button and trying to get the motor to start. Kept trying to do so until I was sure it wasn't going to start, but it did not indicate that there was any problem with the starter or bendix.

I only tried to start it for a few minutes, with the engine turning over without starting. After the lake I took the ski to my auto mechanic and he informed me that there were no issues with the starter and bendix when he attempted to start it before I took it to Fremont. I believe him as he has always been very honest with me. Of course, the only thing I can state with 100% certainty is that I never experienced any problems with the bendix or starter, but I never tried to start it myself once it was out of the water. I'll try to get Austin Jr. online today or tomorrow so that you all can figure out what is wrong with the ski.

Thanks for your replies and your interest.

Z

former sea doo owner, will never own one again.

AustinJr is now registered, but his registration is too new for him to make any postings. I have shown him how the site works, but be gentle, he is new to the forum. He can tell you how the Polaris is acting, what he has done, and what the readings are that he has available. Please extend to him the courtesy and help you would to any new member. He should be on the forum before the end of the evening, I hope.

Thanks for being there.

ZARDOZ

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

+1
    We may not always meet the test but I think one of the reasons this Polaris forum has done so well over time has been the general level of grace and courtesy practiced by the membership.

We generally don't bite but occasionally we do get caught up in the moment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information