Question 1991 Yamaha Waverunner WP500 first time PWC owner

Hi, I never really gave much thought to ever owning a Jet Ski, but my buddy is selling a mint condition 1991 Yamaha Waverunner for $650 including a Karavan Trailer. The only downside is the thing only has a 500cc engine. Should I buy it? What is its top speed? Any decent mods I can make for cheap? Say a few hundred dollars? How much speed will I gain from an exhaust or a new impeller? Thanks, need advice.

+1
    if it was me I would wait and see what you can get this winter, Im thinking something that will have more power and mid 90s for the same amount of money.

For that price though? I would prefer to buy something that won't need any work done to it.

+1
    yes you do have a good selling point, however nothing that old is mint unless it sat unused for all its life, but you will be very limited on what you can do to it as far as mods, its always nice to have something for the kids to get around in or to take out for a stroll, whats compression like? what was all the things done to it? such as has the fuel lines ever been replaced, wear ring, hull condition, have you water tested it? so on

Runs perfect, super clean, new battery. It looks brand new, both the body and in the engine compartment. Starts right up. I didn't water test it though. I saw it though and I heard it run.

6. +1 by:

+1
    take it and water test it, Befor I buy I at least do that and a compression test that will show you if it has a good motor or one that runs good but has low compression to where the life left in it will not be to much longer, it may run great out of the water but it is not under load, keep that in mind, and you dont know if it leaks or if it even will go anywhere do to a wore out wear ring. I do all this and the skis that I have got all had something that needed to be done to it after doing my homework, research that ski on this forum find out all that goes wrong with them, 9 times out of 10 when you buy used you will have to spend some time and money on them.

Thread Information