Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

97 SL 780 bent/broken conecting rod

hello all, looking to possibly buy a 97 SL 780, I was told it has a bent or broken conecting rod, this will be a winter prodject, can someone tell me what this connecting rod is and how to repair this? thanks. I did a search and only pulled up to threads that was not helpful.

+1

Re: 97 SL 780 bent/broken conecting rod

As in the rods that holds the piston to the crank? I'm pretty sure that will require a compete crank rebuild/exchange, which will be a $300-$400 expense, not including gaskets or anything else. SBT offers an exchange where you send them your broken crank as a core, and they send you a rebuilt crank, for around $300.

Repair info can be found here: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

if it is the crank it will involve removing almost the entire motor, which doesn't seem to be too hard.
    Last edited by K447; 09-03-2012 at 10:19 PM.

3. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Good time to tear down the motor and check it all out. Rebuilt crank will be needed for sure. As long as its apart, replace the crank seals, and check the condition of cylinders/pistons. Worst case you may spend 900 rebuilding the whole motor. But the plus side is, you end up with a new motor.

+1
    so the guy was talking about a freakin piston rod then, I thought it was like the half shaft or something to do with the jet pump, yeh but a new motor costs slose to that doesant it

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Usually when the connecting rod breaks, it takes the case and/or a cylinder with it. Bent would be better.

7. +1 by:

+1
    well the guy took it to the shop and thats what they said bent or broken, I am still getting it as it is comming with a double trailer, trading my single and $300 so I dont think I am loosing out, the ski is a bonus basicly for free and its in over all good shape, so I will tear into it when I get it and see whats really going on, I am hopping that the guy took it to a dishonast or stupid machanic shop and just maybe its a simple fix, there is to many other things that could be wrong with it as far as stopping dead and not turning over at least I am hopping that anyways.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburn View Post
    well the guy took it to the shop and thats what they said bent or broken, I am still getting it as it is comming with a double trailer, trading my single and $300 so I dont think I am loosing out, the ski is a bonus basicly for free and its in over all good shape, so I will tear into it when I get it and see whats really going on, I am hopping that the guy took it to a dishonast or stupid machanic shop and just maybe its a simple fix, there is to many other things that could be wrong with it as far as stopping dead and not turning over at least I am hopping that anyways.
    If you plan on fixing it, which you probably should (post up more pics/info on the condition of the ski) then that link I posted earlier will be a very, very important one.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Ok will do it will be a few days befor I get it and I will post the pics

My 750 SL ate a rod bearing and it made it into the cylinder. For what it costs to replace the crankshaft and repair the cylinder it is only about $80 more for a short block from SBT. Make sure you check the reed valves for hidden metal debris.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STEEKHDR View Post
    My 750 SL ate a rod bearing and it made it into the cylinder. For what it costs to replace the crankshaft and repair the cylinder it is only about $80 more for a short block from SBT. Make sure you check the reed valves for hidden metal debris.
    Unfortunately.... this is true...

I wish there was at least ONE place that would rebuild a crank for under $400

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information