Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tore down 2001 GPR and got a surprise

I have a 2001 GPR 1200 that has been sitting at my parents for the last year and a half. Between getting married and having my daughter I had no time to mess with it. Now I have gotten the bug and I started to tear into it. Last time I rode it it starting having trouble accelerating and finally bogged and died. I never got it to crank again. I figured I would start with a carb rebuild so I had planned to take them of and send them to Oside Bill and have them rebuilt and all the normal go fast goodies done. I figured while I was in there I would go ahead and take the head off to check the cylinders. This is what I found.

So now I am going to have to do an overhaul. I could see that the powervalves in the back 2 cylinders were still up. I am done for tonight but I guess the next couple of days I will start tearing it down and get the front jug off and piston out. I know I will need a new piston and probably a new rod. I also know I will need a new jug and head. Anyone have any ideas of what went wrong. Also, should I go ahead and replace the other pistons? They looked ok and the cylinder walls looked good. The ski has 65 hours on it. Any other ideas on the parts needed would be appreciated. I guess I am going to learn more about this motor than I planned.

+1
    I'm guessing a crank/ rod bearing failure,that piston looks like it was hitting the head

Definitely...I will get the motor out and fully torn down in the next few days. What do I need to look for on the crank to know if it needs to be replaced or repaired?

+1
    Wow now that sucks, but at least your doing it, keep us posted I may need this thread for mine in the probobly near future

+1
    U might as well just pull the engine out and split the cases,I would def go through the whole motor

....looks like that the front cylinder power valve broke and pushed forward into the cylinder and under the piston skirt. Indeed you'll have to pull the motor and split the cases to replace the rods b/c they are pressed into the crank; not bolted on like 2-stroke bikes where you just remove the connecting rod from the crank shaft. Pull the cylinder jug and inspect tho...maybe the rod/crank is ok. Do you remember what ur compression was lately? If it was around 115 +/- 5 or 10 psi you might could just replace the one piston and maybe just replace rings on the the other's. If you had well over a hundred hours that's a different story... . Sorry about ur deal bro...

Banned User
    +1
    I'd tear the whole motor down like I'm doing in my rebuild thread

I havent compression tested it. The ski has 65 hours on it. The two rear cylinders look great. I am going to pull the whole motor and replace the front jug and all 3 pistons. If I find that the rod is toast how would I go about replacing a rod that is pressed on the crank? I guess it all depends on what the crank looks like when I get it out. What do I need to look at on the crank. And worst case am I looking at buying a new crank too?

Banned User
    +1
    You could send it to crankworks if damaged

I need to contact them...I guess it would all just depend on what I find broken and how much they woukd fix it for...hopefully cheaper than buying a new crank.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information