Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2012 vxr vibration

Hi all,

I purchased a new 2012 VXR last week and have noticed a vibration under 5500 rpm's. Do any other VXR owners have this issue. It is very noticeable and feels like it is going to vibrate everything loose. It has just under 7 hours on it. When you give it wot it is smooth.

+1
    I'd take it back to the dealer and let them know. Something is not right. I have two 2012 VXS (same as VXRs) skis and no vibration on them. Here is a video from a camera attached to the ski at various RPMs showing very little vibration:

About at the 1:25 point in the video I can hear it. Even though it may feel fine to you, it's there. I have a 12' HO(same engine), when first broke it in I thought something was wrong. It vibrated and sputtered at idle and didnt smooth out until 5500 rpm's. Brought to the dealer, they said the 1.8's are all similiar with the vibration. I had them change the plugs, doulble check the oil level, inspect the driveshaft, bearings and pump. Still the same.

This has been brought up before here. Some say the NA 1.8 with it's higher compression is more prone to vibrate. Im used to to it now, but the other day I took out my wife's VX110 and I could barely tell if it was running. That engine was so smooth and quiet. It made my new HO feel like an old two stroke, Lol.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    About at the 1:30 point in the video I can hear it.
    ?? It sounds like an engine running? Bear in mind that the camera is directly attached to the ski and is not vibrating at that point. There is a lanyard blowing around that clicks on occasion, but no shake apart vibrations. I also run through a little wind ripple around 1:25-1:33, then I turn into glass water and the noise reduces at the same RPM.

I just looked again at the video and it's at the 1:25 mark. I just edited my post. You can pick it up as your turning and the engine has more of a load on it.

+1
    If the vibration that is happening in the 1:30 section of that video is what the OP is talking about that is "very noticeable and feels like it is going to vibrate everything loose" then hmm... not sure what to say. I've owned skis that vibrated MUCH worse than that.

I have to keep in mind there is a gap now in PWC owners. Those that rode skis before the 11 foot long, 4 stroke, comfy couches hit the market and those that got into it after that point. What's acceptable would be a little different for each it appears.

+1
    I get a little vibration I can hear the hood rattling a bit. Nothing that would concern me however.

Mine seems to shake the most at idle. The vibration sounds like the water box is hitting the hull, but everything is strapped down tight.

To the OP, if you have it idling on the hose, lift up and down on the rear of the engine( little stud on the back on the cylinder head), and I'm sure you can get it to vibrate more and less as your doing this.

+1
    Bigger engines..thinner hulls than the older models..it's going to vibrate more

I get a rattle from my hood. Thing has come open while jumping waves. Not faulting the VXR on it though. Jumping waves is rough on the machine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information