Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 250X misfire, surge, loss of power

We have 2 of the same. One has 18 hours, the other 20. I bought them with 6 hours and one ran a bit rough. I changed the plugs to CR9EK and they were smooth as glass. Just the other day we took them out after they have been sitting for a month and we had issues with both. One ski was surging quite a bit and would not get to top speed. After riding for a while, it seemed to clear up. Has not acted up since. The other was much worse. It was misfiring upon start up Would not go past approx 30mph. Drove it around slow for a while. Began to clear up a bit. Power was coming on and off. At top speed it would clear up and run out nice, but as soon as I came down it would begin to misfire again. Brought it home and would barely idle. Never cleared up like the other.

Both skis stay on lifts under covers. Could them sitting for a month or so cause any type of moisture issues? I am wondering if maybe bad gas, being it happened to both? I am going to change the plugs out when I get home and see if that helps. Do these skis go through plugs this often? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Banned User
    +1

Change the plugs skis don't like to sit especially if moisture is left in the WB and don't continue to run a ski when it's acting up like that.

+1
    You're using the wrong plugs. CR9EK are for the normally aspirated engines.

The 250x uses NGK PMR9B. They are special laser platinum plugs. The dealers and parts houses charge around $21-$22 each for them but you can get them on Amazon for around $11.

Do you have the owner's manual? It tells you what plugs to use. If you don't have the manual, order one from a dealer. If you do have one, read it.

Banned User
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
    You're using the wrong plugs. CR9EK are for the normally aspirated engines.

The 250x uses NGK PMR9B. They are special laser platinum plugs. The dealers and parts houses charge around $21-$22 each for them but you can get them on Amazon for around $11.

Do you have the owner's manual? It tells you what plugs to use. If you don't have the manual, order one from a dealer. If you do have one, read it.
    Dude your flat wrong if you want to give advice or tell someone there wrong at least make sure you are right. CR9ek are fine as well as cr9eix witch are iridium same as the oem plug but half the price. I would never spend the money on a oem plug as the other two offer the same performance for less.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Dude your flat wrong if you want to give advice or tell someone there wrong at least make sure you are right. CR9ek are fine as well as cr9eix witch are iridium same as the oem plug but half the price. I would never spend the money on a oem plug as the other two offer the same performance for less.
    Well I hate to tell you Dude, but I'm not wrong, you are. Or do you know more than the manufacturer?

Here's a link to the 2008 Ultra 250x specs published by Kawasaki, taken directly from their website. The first item under "Tuning Specs" is the spark plug type:

http://www.kawasaki.com/site/Kawasak..._JT1500B8F.pdf

My old 2005 STX-12f used CR9EK plugs. Different engine, different plugs, no supercharger, whole different animal.

So yes, one of us is "flat wrong" and it isn't me. Perhaps people should consider if you know what you're talking about before heeding your advice.

+1
    Oh gawd here we go.....

Banned User
    +1

Omfg why are people so damn stupid and have to prove there point even when they are completely wrong. there are tons of us that run both cr9ek and cr9eix plugs in our 250s and 300s both plugs work perfectly fine. I'm very aware of what the factory plug is. I guess all of us running these Other plugs should all go take them out. Do you know both plugs where tested by Kawi ? Do you know why they chose the pmb? Do you think the pmb is the only application is the Kawi ? Again go do your research because I will bet you every ski I own the ek and eix are both perfectly fine to run and match or exceed the performance of the factory plug

Go type cr9eix in the search function you will see how wrong we all are.

+1
    dr evil has spent to much time hanging in his lab reading the kawasaki bible!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Omfg why are people so damn stupid and have to prove there point even when they are completely wrong. there are tons of us that run both cr9ek and cr9eix plugs in our 250s and 300s both plugs work perfectly fine. I'm very aware of what the factory plug is. I guess all of us running these Other plugs should all go take them out. Do you know both plugs where tested by Kawi ? Do you know why they chose the pmb? Do you think the pmb is the only application is the Kawi ? Again go do your research because I will bet you every ski I own the ek and eix are both perfectly fine to run and match or exceed the performance of the factory plug

Go type cr9eix in the search function you will see how wrong we all are.
    If I have to choose between a manufacturer specification and what some guy I don't know says on a forum, then I'll just go with the guy from the forum?

And if I have a warranty, and I develop an engine problem, I wonder if Kawasaki will honor the warranty when I'm running non-spec'd plugs?

Please copy and paste or provide a link to any information furnished by Kawasaki that says CR9EK or CR9EIX are acceptable substitutes for the PMR9B in an Ultra 250x.

Also, can you please tell me why Kawi chose the PMR after testing both? You rhetorically ask the question but provide no answer. I truly have no idea why but I'd love to hear Kawi's answer -- NOT some second hand quote that somebody from Kawi told somebody else so and so, but actual information from Kawi.

Oh and by the way, in answer to another of your questions, I'm not sure if you're saying the PMR has other applications besides Kawi or that there are other choices for the Kawi than the PMR, but if it's the former, according to NGK, Kawi IS the only application for the PMR9B:

http://www.ngk.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=pmr9b

That's what NGK says and they make the plugs. I'm sure you have a different answer.

Finally, to your point about how stupid I am and that I should go do my research, I have done exactly that and posted links from the companies that make the products to support my points.

So far all you have given is opinion. I'm not saying its wrong, for all I know its not, but if you're going to say I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm stupid, then you need to bolster your statements with facts, just as I have done.

+1
    dr evil this is a performance forum people come here trusting the guys here know and share what experienced knowledge they have gained, you have no idea of our back grounds but a little research should tell you that we know what we are talking about and dont post bullsh it. youve been a member since june and you have had 12 posts. you have got a long way to go to earn any credabilty in your posts. at times we will give out other options other than manufactures specs. because we have tried a prove they work, other times we will suggest stick with oem. all the info posted is use at your own risk. once again this is a performance forum not backed by kawasaki, however they are watching

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information