Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 150 Starts and rev's to the moon! HELP

Hey guys, Never touched one of the MSX polaris's before... Just picked one up. Only has 30hrs, bought it from an old man and its been sitting in his garage the past years. Old man says it ran great and he'd never had an issue with it.

Drained the fuel, changed the oil, put a new battery in it.

It fires up, and starts revving wide open. If you pull the reverse lever, it kinda slows down? But still far from idle.

Being that NOBODY (dealer wise) will even look at this thing. Where do I start? The Throttle cable is free. This thing is MINT, I mean, show room mint. Inside and out. Doesn't look like anyone has ever worked on it.

Any Ideas on what would cause this? Id hate to put it in the water to "Run it out" and it not stop or blow the engine due to a lean condition etc...

Thanks in advance!

Also, The check engine light is flashing...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Out of the water and on the trailer, always engage the Reverse lever before starting a turbo charged Weber engine.

Reverse mode activates an RPM limiter which will allow the engine to settle down after starting.

See my signature links for more useful info.

Pay attention to the notes regarding correct oil levels and sensor contamination.

Ok I did the throttle body learn I read on here. I can hear the sensor sweeping. So that must be working. However, when I unplug that box, the ski will idle normal.

I did as you said and put the ski in reverse before starting, it still revs high but seems to be hitting the RPM limiter.

This is a fresh water only ski, and there is absolutly NO rust, corrosion,etc .

+1
    When it starts in the water the load on the impeller should help the engine settle down. Keep it fully strapped to the trailer on the launch ramp and do some testing with the jet pump intake fully submerged.

+1
    Nice find! I'm jealous.

The sky high reving is a known MSX 110/150 problem. There was an actual "Tech Team Tip" published by Polaris to address this... basically stated to engage reverse when starting ski out of water.

When you have reverse engaged, does your engine still rev all the way to the limiter? (~7800 rpms) It should only rev up to 3400rpms max.

Mine did this too, on the trailer, if I tried to blip the throttle. But never when in the water. Also... this beast is fully fuel injected with sensors up the wazoo... so running it lean isn't really a likelihood like it is with carbs. Although... if you get oil ingestion and your sensors get fouled... it will run very poorly.

So check K447's sig link for more info about proper oil levels. Very important.

The flashing red light on the display could be the normal startup self checking. It flashes like 10 times then goes out. If you see any other flashing after this or other indicators light up... then take note.

Cheers!

Took the ski down to the lake. And what do you know.. the ski settled down and idled fine... lol However, it is very sluggish. I held it WOT for about 45 seconds( it ran 35-40MPH) and it finally got up and ran. 7250, all boost bars, etc and ran about 68mph. It feels like the turbo takes FOREVER to spool. If i let off, and get back on it, it takes a bit to get it to kick back in and go. It doesn't have a smooth idle, its a constant up and down. But stays under 2k RPMs. Im going to go pick up some new spark plugs later and try it again. But Im happy it atleast ran.

I feel there are WAYYY too many sensors on this ski. I don't like the fact of having no throttle response compared to cable operated skis. And Ive owned Honda aquatrax, Seadoo RXP, Kawi Ultra's, and I now see why Polaris didnt make it in the PWC world..

I am not impressed at all with the handling. It does ride nice and smooth through the waves. This ski would be perfect for a fat lady to get on and cruise. lol

Hopefully the new plugs will take care of the hesitation , and it will be for sale and going down the road!

Thank you for the advice guys.. Ill keep you updated if it runs better with new plugs!

+1
    The throttle response you describe is not normal. Something is not working properly.

Most of the people who own these machines love them once they get the power plant sorted.

The MSX hull does handle differently from the smaller Polaris hulls. We put aftermarket sponsons on our MSX 140 (same hull as yours, different engine) and the cornering improved markedly.

What sponsons did you put on K447?

I am having a similar issue where mine feels like it is taking quite a while to get up to WOT if I gun it, it actually will speed up, slow down a bit , then slooooooowly reach WOT. I am thinking it may be the MAP sensors both need to be replaced.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    What sponsons did you put on K447? ....
    These aftermarket sponsons, originally made in New Zealand. I have forgotten the company name at the moment

Very few sets were made. I don't know if anyone made copies of the design.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l=1#post796264

Name:  sponson3.jpeg
Views: 183
Size:  18.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information