Msx 150 Keeps Triggering Sensors - Oil Issue

Thought it was the MAP Sensors. Not this time. O2 sensor, Boost Sensor, and Air Temp Sensor. Can I clean these sensors or do I buy new?

+1
    Not sure about cleaning O2 sensors... I'd google it and see what others say.

The "boost sensors" on our skis are the MAP sensors. One in the same... manifold absolute pressure. These 2 MAP sensors we use have a built in resistance type air temp sensor in them. Only the MAP sensor attached to the intercooler-to-intake hard pipe reads the air temps in addition to reading pressure. The other MAP sensor on the forward side of the intake manifold ... it only reads pressure. You can swap them back and forth if you suspect the air temp sensor might be bad in one... but be sure to not mix up the wire connectors between them.

What errors are you seeing get triggered?

Cheers!

**edited... had my MAP sensors mixed up... corrected
    Last edited by ripcuda; 11-01-2012 at 03:04 PM.

You sure there is not a boost sensor separate from MAP sensors. I know the MAP sensors very well. Have changed 6 of them. Going to check the Thermo switch too. I have a spare O2 sensor I think, so maybe just swap that one out.

+1
    Yes... the MAP sensors are the boost sensors. And we got 2 of them... more than most turbo cars.
    You can run fine without the exhaust manifold thermo switch (unplugged)... you just won't have any over-temp safety for the exhaust.

Good luck!

No wonder I did not get a over temp light when my ski got hot. Pulled a true bonehead move and thought the exhaust cooling hose was the oil vapor line. (did not look at manual) Plugged the cooling hose and she got pretty hot in exhaust.

Got new MAP sensors coming, but thinking of getting water issues resolved and check/change Thermo Switch, run it in limp mode (6700 rpm) and blow out more/all of the oill I must have built up. Then do one last cleaning of intake and maybe this Son Of a Buck will run right for more than 2 days.

OK,

I have it running at 7600 rpm. Seems to running hot, so I am trying to figure out my Turbo Thermo Temp. switch. How can I test that? I took it apart and now re-call I pulled the wire off the cap that plugs to the top of the thermo temp sensor. I fed it through the top cap with the small hole in it and soldered. Hoping to get a procedure to check the sensor and the wire. Is there power going to the sensor or does it just send a signal to the ECU when the switch is set off by high temp.'s? What sign comes on the MFD when this sensor is triggered?

Last item is, how hard is it to change the water pump impeller? Maybe I cooked that too.

+1
    How are you basing your idea that it's running hot? Do you get the overheat indicator on the display? Is the ski going into limp mode? Or engine just feels hot to the touch?

The exhaust manifold thermo switch works by grounding the single wire that goes to it when the exhaust manifold gets too hot. Service manual says [Exhaust Temperature Switch Resistance = 1.4Ω].

Easy way to test it is to unplug it. The ECU will think the switch (ie temps) is good when unplugged (not grounded) and all will run fine. But you loose the over-temp protection of this switch when it's unplugged (duh)... so I recommend it only for testing... not for your permanent fix. When this switch is triggered by too hot exhaust manifold, you get the same high engine temperature warning on the display as you would for coolant temps too high (different sensor). And the ECU should trigger limp mode (max revs) around 1800 rpms. As for disassembling the switch... sorry, I've never done that.

Water pump... is a major job. Pretty much have to pull the engine to get to it.

Cheers!

Thread Information