Over heated MSX 150 and now I have water at driveshaft

The exhaust tube blew off and warped the plastic resonator end that the 3" tube connects to. I got it back together, but I have high engine temps. and water appears in bottom of hull and it is warm to hot. What should I check.

Just looked at the parts fiche and cannot find them. Where exaclty are these located. I think the )2 has the green end in on top by the head right?

+1
    Dang... your exhaust is hot to melt that resonator.
    Can you tell if the warm water in your hull is raw water or coolant?
    Is your ski triggering an overheat condition?
    Do you have the exhaust manifold thermo switch plugged in?
    Check the exhaust cooling injector orifice... should be clear and open... 0.185" diameter. It's tapped into the exhaust pipe after the turbo. Look for the small hose leading to it from the tee.

Yes, the O2 sensor screws in the exhaust manifold... and does have the green connector. You think this is related?

You might have a loose hose or it popped off... perhaps off the heat exchanger (coolant to raw water). This would give you warm/hot water and mess up your engine cooling. Follow the raw water hose... comes from rear of ski... and goes to intercooler (there is a tee and small hose going to heat exchanger). Then from the intercooler to the heat exchanger... then to the oil tank... then to the exhaust manifold... then out the exhaust down pipe to the 3/4" hose and then out the rear.

If it's coolant your losing (reservoir level dropping?)... could still be hose off heat exchanger... or oil cooler... or turbo cooling feed.

I'd let the ski cool, run it on the hose and find the leak without letting it run too long to overheat.

Good luck!

It is water not colant. No temp. light has come on. I will check all these things out and report back.

Rssonator is leaking. Replaced. Hoping this solves it.

+1
    Ah... you did mention the melted resonator. Makes sense... it would leak out the hot water passing through the exhaust.

Hope that is your only leak.

Cheers!

I drove it around with the seat off and it is coming from resonator area. I then looked in hose that feeds resonator and that is all bubbled on inside, so that is shot too.

When it got this hot, no temp light at all went off, so that is why I am trying to diagnosis the thermo switch we are talking about on the other thread. God help me if I roached the water pump impeller. I feel it is runnng hot as the oil tank vent I have has a decent amount of vapor coming out of it and the engine seems to be putting out alot of heat when I run it with seat off. Cannot tell for sure since my thermo switch does not work.

+1
    Yeah... could be a bad thermo switch. Might have been damaged in the overheat. Sounds like when you hooked up the hoses wrong... there was no water flowing into the exhaust manifold?? I wonder if the switch works when there is no water in the exhaust manifold? Might have cooked it because of that.

Well, at least you have the regular engine coolant temperature sensor. That should trigger if the whole engine gets over heated. And because it did not... I'd doubt the water pump suffered any damage. Sounds like you just cooked the exhaust side... manifold/turbo/waterbox/resonator. Hopefully the oil and coolant protected the turbo.

You say you have excess oil vapor coming out oil tank vent. Your talking about the PVC breather you built connected to your oil separator (cyclone) off your stock oil tank, right? Have you done a compression test on this engine recently (since overheat)? If the rings were damaged or the Nikasil coating was damaged in the cylinders... it would cause excessive piston-ring blowby and that pressure would end up as oily vapors in the oil tank. Worth a check.

Cheers!

Thread Information