Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Lowrance mark 4 install

I am getting it soon, but i just got to thinking. Do I need another battery???

I would. Don't want to eat up the one and only thing that starts your bike. For 169 you can get a red top battery or you can get the small cell yellow top meant for a Prius for 190..

+1
    I use a 12V deer feeder battery to operate my Mark 4 and it will run for two days of fishing between charges... maybe longer. THis is a MUCH lighter battery than a ski battery and does an admirable job. Mine looks like this and cost about $25 at the Tractor Supply Company.
    http://www.batterywholesale.com/batt...ml?prodID=2818

+1
    Rev Ryder . Thanks a lot. How do you like the mark 4?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KJvxr View Post
    Rev Ryder . Thanks a lot. How do you like the mark 4?
    I like it OK. THe fishfinder is not superb, but for the price it's OK. THe GPS works very well. I drilled the hull to mount the transducer, but find myself using REverse on the ski a lot around the rigs I fish and so it makes a LOT of tiny bubbles that freak out the FF to read less than a foot deep in 50+ foot of water. It often takes a reboot to get it to read correctly again. Otherwise it does what I want it to do when I want it to do it. For the price it's an awesome unit IMHO.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Theres no need for another battery to run the depth finder....I have 195 hours on my ski and it has had a depth finder its whole life ......never had a starting issue ever....I even left it on by accident for 3 days and when I got to the water it started right up...also had an Eagle on a STX 15f for over 225 hours, never had starting problem....I think the best feature on the Mark 4 is the GPS/Chart Plotter/ Trip Calculator.........Marking Trails, Routes and Way Points is pretty cool.....and for the money I feel the Depth Fish Finder function is very effeicent when the settings are set correct....I can usually tell what type of fish I am marking......I mounted the puck inside the hull....lost the water temp function....but oh well I didnt want to mount it on the out side of the hull.....

+1
    I have a second battery and intend to also connect a small livewell pump to it (I just haven't gotten to it yet). The pump will, of course, be much higher draw and neccessitate the additional battery for safety's sake. I can see not having a problem with just the fishfinder on the ski. It really is a very low use unit (most, but not all, are) and as such would be pretty unlikely to deplete your ski battery. But at $25 it's pretty cheap insurance for the ski IMHO though I agree it isn't a neccessity unless you also run some other accessories, i.e., lights, livewell, radios, etc. that may increase electric consumption. If you are going to be hooking a LOT of accessories up, I'd certainly go the full monty and add the second full sized battery with relay controlled charging.

EDIT TO ADD:

I too thought about mounting the transducer in hull, but wanted the improved sensitivity that an outside mount always offers AND I did want the
    water temp feature to function. CHances are I will never need the increased depth coverage, but....

I have the Elite 4 and I use the Ski Battery without issue. I also mounted mine in the factory depth finder position in my GTX. Ive never had an issue and Ive had a few comment on how nicely its installed.

Here is a link with the installation pics of mine.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...lowrance+elite

+1
    All great input. It's the only acc. I plan on putting on now. So I may just stick with one battery. I'm stoked to install it. Fishing is tough with out, and trying to blindly find a reef for lobster blows. I can't wait....

+1
    Rev Ryder, can you send me a pic of where you mounted your transducer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information