Unhappy 2003 1100 stx di problem.

Hey guys!

Last summer my 2003 1100 stx di broke a seal in the prop, and it filled up with water while camping (it was full for atleast 12 hours), ever since then, if I ever give the ski a full throttle the warning light will come on and it will cap me at about 75% capacity (it wont let me over 50-55 KM's per hour).

Also, I've just had the battery tested and it's fine, but after a little bit of use it will start stalling, and the battery light comes on the dash, even though the battery is at full charge.

Has anybody had these problems before? Are there any suggestions at what I need to fix/replace?

Thanks in advance!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnos01 View Post
    Hey guys!

Last summer my 2003 1100 stx di broke a seal in the prop, and it filled up with water while camping (it was full for atleast 12 hours), ever since then, if I ever give the ski a full throttle the warning light will come on and it will cap me at about 75% capacity (it wont let me over 50-55 KM's per hour).

Also, I've just had the battery tested and it's fine, but after a little bit of use it will start stalling, and the battery light comes on the dash, even though the battery is at full charge.

Has anybody had these problems before? Are there any suggestions at what I need to fix/replace?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    If the motor had water in it for 12 hours, then your crankshaft along with the bearings are rusted and most likely/certainly needs to be rebuilt. If you keep trying to run it then the problems will escalate into a much worse situation. Myself, I would rebuild it now "before" it does something more drastic, like slinging a rod through the lower case.

You can check some of the crankshaft out visually by taking the flame arrestor off along with the intake, pull the reeds out and have a look to see the condition of the crankshaft.

And while you have all that off, be sure and replace all the old oil injection lines with a high quality line like Tygon or equivalent. After replacing oil lines you will need to run a premix of at least 50 to 1 in the first tank of gas while the oil lines are refilling and working the bubbles through.
    The DI has a oil line going to a bearing also, that one needs to be injected full with oil before cranking the engine up...use a syringe to fill that line up with oil.

When you say "broke a seal in the prop" "and the ski filled up with water"...I take that to mean the drive-shaft bearing housing. That needs to be replaced also...housing, bearing and seals. You will have to remove, or at least lift the motor high enough to remove the drive-shaft from inside the hull to be able to replace that housing.

+1
    Just had one of those "duh" moments.

After writing all of that info cuz' I thought the ski filled up with water along with the engine...I re-read your post.

Are you saying that the jet pump shaft and bearings filled with water??? If so, rebuild the jet pump immediately.

I was thinking the same thing.
    If prop seal broke, how the hell the engine got filled with water???

Regardless....
    For proper diagnostics, you need to hook up KDIAG software and see what error codes are stored.

Also on DI engines, the low BATTERY warning does not only mean the battery voltage is low. It also means your stator is not producing enough voltage. The AC voltage output check hemust be performed on the stator.

Thread Information