2008 kawasaki ultra 250x performance decrease

My 2008 Kawasaki ultra 250x used to be faster than my 2009 yamaha fx cruiser sho. Was having problems at beginning of the year but found out the pugs needed to be replaced and that solved that problem. The acceleration is where it always was, it is the top speed that has me asking questions. The speedometer broke so i can't tell you how fast it is going by that even though we all know those aren't accurate at all. On GPS though i will do about 60-63. or less. The ski just hit 100 hours and the only this we have done for maintenance is change the oil regularly with the filter, and we have changed the plugs twice. We only run 91-93 octane gasoline depending on what gas station we are at. I saw in the manual that the supercharger belt has to be checked every so often, we only checked it after the break in period and it was good. Could that be the problem.

and one more thing. i mentioned that the gage does not read correctly, it seems to work correctly up until around 30-35mph. but after that it is way off. at full throttle operation is sits at around 43-47mph and i know im not going that slow. Any ideas?

thanks

Banned User
    +1

How much boost you making
    Install new plugs
    63-65 is normal mph
    What's your rpm while wot
    Belt needs replacing in most cases between 90-105 hrs
    Check all your hoses are tight
    Check valve clearances.
    100 hr is time for a good service and going through.

i can not remember how much boost i was making, but the rpm's is around or under 7500. it just does not seem to be where i used to be. i used to be able to smoke our yamaha. now it passes me

Might be worth giving the intercooler a good clean out too.

Did you address this issue? what was it?

My ski struggles to get over 7500 rpm too and like you I'm sure it used to get around 7600-7700????

I have checked belt with gauge (tight), pipes/clamps etc... 70hrs on the ski now, last took the intercooler out @ around 55hrs and put some gas through it to clean but it was not that dirty then tbh? never really get any oily water in the catch pipe - all stock apart from the oem Rouge pulleys which are same as stock.

I have gone back to the OEM impellor from the Solas i was running, this pulls much better out the hole, but maybe cause of a top end loss, think I am running around 63mph.

Think i might to a compression check? in next month or so..

Banned User
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by kwakmat View Post
    Did you address this issue? what was it?

My ski struggles to get over 7500 rpm too and like you I'm sure it used to get around 7600-7700????

I have checked belt with gauge (tight), pipes/clamps etc... 70hrs on the ski now, last took the intercooler out @ around 55hrs and put some gas through it to clean but it was not that dirty then tbh? never really get any oily water in the catch pipe - all stock apart from the oem Rouge pulleys which are same as stock.

I have gone back to the OEM impellor from the Solas i was running, this pulls much better out the hole, but maybe cause of a top end loss, think I am running around 63mph.

Think i might to a compression check? in next month or so..
    Your rpm and speed is normal for a 250 I don't see a issue

7. +1 by:

Thread Information