Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Needing some much needed help on 99 Kawasaki Sport XI Jetski!!!!!

Okay my father in law and i purchased a 99 Kawasaki Sport XI Jetski for 400 dollars only has 30 hrs on it. Was purchased from someone local and really hasnt been torn up. The guy told us that he would be riding on the lake and then after about 10 minutes of riding the ski would die. He said after waiting around 10 minutes it would fire back up and continue to ride until it died again. The guy told us it didnt start doing this until it had sat for a couple years i think or one year.

So far we have drained the old fuel out of the tank and replaced with new. The ski has a block off kit so we premixed the fuel 40;1. it would start up on the lake but would run really bad. It wouldnt pick up speed and would run rough. It finally ended up dying after about 5 minutes of putting around the dock. We removed the spark plugs and they were wet and fouled black looking like they had a lot of oil on them. Since then we have gone through the fuel system and checked to make sure there were no clogs. We checked spark and couldnt get any it was strong enough. We then replaced ignition coil and now have wonderful spark. Only problem is now it will not start at all it turns over and has good spark. So we then pulled the plugs and they are saturated with fuel/oil. We removed the carbs and went through them and everything seems clean and not plugged up. They were actually very clean.

So now we checked the high and low speed screws and they are at factory settings one of them was a little off but set it back to factory setting and still no change. So we are stumped and need some help! since we changed the fuel and gone through the system it seems very hard to start now and will only start every once in a while but then will do the same it just keeps flooding the plugs out! any suggestions would be great and appreciated!

+1
    Welcome aboard, lawdawg!

The fuel pickups in the tank may be plugged, but I think that would make it run badly all the time, not just after 10 minutes. 40:1 is a bit rich on oil, I'd do 50:1. Also, putting around the dock at idle speed makes it very likely that you will foul plugs. These engines are not designed to idle for long periods.

When it starts to die, try pulling the choke 1/2 way and see if that helps.

Well im sorry I miss typed that I meant that the ski would only go about idle speed but it was bogging down real bad I checked compression and it is good in both cylinders! Just trying to figure out y it is soaking plugs before even starting

+1
    There is a return line from the carbs to the tank. I suppose that it could flood the carbs if it got plugged up.

I blew through the line and it builds pressure up enough to push fuel out the return fitting of the carb...I talked to my father in law and he thinks we mixed the gas to rich! I guess when he mixed it he looked wrong on the bottle and it's probly mixed 70:1 give or take would this cause the plugs to be fouled up with oil enough to not start because when u crank it the plugs are covered soaked in black oil!

Here is another update sorry just trying to get this all figured out! We added some more fuel to the tank and it's not running so rich now! We do have it running the only problem we are having now is that it seems that the ski is starving for fuel! It idles fine and if u let it sick and idle for a bit then give it gas it will rev up but start cutting out. The fuel filer doesn't stay full or even half full when running it looks like it sucks it out faster than it goes in. We then took the fuel filter off and hooked the line directly in to the carb and not a whole lot of difference in it running so what would my next step be? At least it is running now and I'm not going through batteries! Lol!

+1
    70:1 is not enough oil. If you add fuel to 70:1, you really don't have enough oil! It should be 50:1.

You don't know what you have, so you should drain the tank and start from scratch.

+1
    even though the carbs look clean, you need to clean all of the jets really really well. I bet they are plugged, causing a lean condition. Pull the carbs and clean all of the jets.

On mine, when I bought my ultra 150 it would not go above idle speed. I had to get the jet pump repaired. It was broken and wasn't pushing water out, causing it to die in the water. Check out your jet pump. The bearings go on these and end up causing engine to die.

On the side of the carbs that have the jets you need to take off the plate that the jets are screwed into and check the screed on the other side. It sounds like the engine will run long enough to empty the available fuel that is standing in the carbs then when it can't be replenished it stalls.

I had this happen on my SSXI in the past and there was some type of fuzzy white (almost fabric) material clogging the screens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information