97 gp1200v water in piston, what's needed for repair

I'm new to jet ski's and seem to be on a steep learning curve with this ski. I picked up a 97 gp1200v a few weeks ago. We took it out and it seem to run great tell it flooded due to a bad bilge suction line and fill the stator with water since the idiot I bought from didn't install the oil block off plate. I have since fixed that. I check my compression after this happen and it was at 125 on each cyclinder. Now when I hooked up the hose to get the ski running(hose was not on during start up, but was prior to turning it over) It would not turn over. So I ended up replacing the starter since it was all rusted up and worked speratically. Now when I went to turn it over it would only turn once before it stop. I ended up removing the plugs to see if it would turn over and it blew water out each of the cyclinders. The one closes to the stator seems to have the most coming out of it. Would this just be a blown head gasket that needs to be replaced or is there more to it.

I'm not afraid of tearing into it. Just would rather do it in a few month if all I need to do is change a gasket to get it going for now.

Thanks,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dzrtrataz View Post
    I'm new to jet ski's and seem to be on a steep learning curve with this ski. I picked up a 97 gp1200v a few weeks ago. We took it out and it seem to run great tell it flooded due to a bad bilge suction line and fill the stator with water since the idiot I bought from didn't install the oil block off plate. I have since fixed that. I check my compression after this happen and it was at 125 on each cyclinder. Now when I hooked up the hose to get the ski running(hose was not on during start up, but was prior to turning it over) It would not turn over. So I ended up replacing the starter since it was all rusted up and worked speratically. Now when I went to turn it over it would only turn once before it stop. I ended up removing the plugs to see if it would turn over and it blew water out each of the cyclinders. The one closes to the stator seems to have the most coming out of it. Would this just be a blown head gasket that needs to be replaced or is there more to it.

I'm not afraid of tearing into it. Just would rather do it in a few month if all I need to do is change a gasket to get it going for now.

Thanks,
    Start engine then turn on water. Turn off water then stop engine.Better get it running asap to get water out of engine or you'll have a rust bucket of an engine.

I pulled the plugs out and ran it to blow the water out and will do it again when I get home to make sure it's all out.

+1
    Sounds like you got water in the jugs via the intake (carbs) since you had water in the bilge. If it was the head gasket your compression check would have been bad and you would have oily water all over the bilge.

+1
    yeh you got some big issues, you better get all that water out of the pistons with the plugs out after that you better put a few capfulles of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and keep dryfireing it to lube it all up put plugs in and pray it still starts run it for five minutes on the hose do not turn on that hose untill she starts, then get to a lake and run the shit out of it for a full tank of gas and oil, change plugs asap as well when you get back home check new plugs. hope you did not DMG. a rod from the water being in the pistons then your really screwed.

I got the water out and got it running. Tomorrow when I take it to the lake should I run it rich for a tank

+1
    You could try to spray wd40 into the crankcases,it will help remove the moisture

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dzrtrataz View Post
    I got the water out and got it running. Tomorrow when I take it to the lake should I run it rich for a tank
    I would add some fuel addative (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx) to make sure all water is cleaned from your fuel system.
    Assuming the water in the jugs came through the intake, a carb(s) rebuild is in order. Watch your plugs carefully. Water and oil will
    clog the internal carb filters quickly and you could burn up a cylinder in a flash.

Just got back from the lake and she ran great. Thanks for the help

+1
    just keep an eye on things, wd-40 the motor, hopefully you will not develope any carb issues, good luck.

Thread Information