Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weather and performance

I ride at Lake Mojave in Nevada. it's at elevation at 647 feet above sea level and the water is typically 80+ degrees and air temp in 95-103.

I just put in an X-SC (in a 03" 185), 4" kanaflex, shorty water box(now it's louder than shit=wife hates that), 42lbs, FPR. Runs about 64mph WITHOUT IC/manifold from 215 I have not put in yet. I'm obviosuly expecting more power/rpm's with Ic/mani but what about the air and water temps.

Lextoy says they are killing me and to ride somewhere cold (70 degrees.? I live in SoCal..that is cold) to see what the sea can do in lower temp.

What can I expect with lower air and water temps with or without the IC (putting it in this week)?

+1
    Lower elevation, air temps, water temps and humidity will all raise your HP, RPMs and performance.

Check out this calculator:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

Thanks, I'll try riding later in winter and seeing what it does. That will for sure have me on the rev limiter because I am tuning it for hi temps.
    Rick

+1
    Cold dry air... The seat-of-your-pants difference is astounding. You will turn to the limiter if adjusted properly for 100F temps, so have an impeller with more pitch on hand to swap out. She's really gonna move with some cold air to breathe!
    Oh, and be careful with those cast pistons.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgreg View Post
    I ride at Lake Mojave in Nevada. it's at elevation at 647 feet above sea level and the water is typically 80+ degrees and air temp in 95-103.

I just put in an X-SC (in a 03" 185), 4" kanaflex, shorty water box(now it's louder than shit=wife hates that), 42lbs, FPR. Runs about 64mph WITHOUT IC/manifold from 215 I have not put in yet. I'm obviosuly expecting more power/rpm's with Ic/mani but what about the air and water temps.

Lextoy says they are killing me and to ride somewhere cold (70 degrees.? I live in SoCal..that is cold) to see what the sea can do in lower temp.

What can I expect with lower air and water temps with or without the IC (putting it in this week)?
    so your running a s/c without any i/c in 100* air 80* water? if i read that right, i would not ride again until you have an i/c in place or you will be building a motor soon. the wife will really hate that...

6. +1 by:

Wow. Jerry and Eric from speedfreaks did not say I would blow the motor...Maybe I did not tell them the water was so warm. They did mention decreased performance due to the warmer air and more gas BUT not that hot. Doesn't the thing have a "hot light" for god sake? I know a few people that ran this set-up and did not blow-up stuff up...But again, not that warm of water.

The IC's going in before the next ride.

Thanks

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgreg View Post
    Wow. Jerry and Eric from speedfreaks did not say I would blow the motor...Maybe I did not tell them the water was so warm. They did mention decreased performance due to the warmer air and more gas BUT not that hot. Doesn't the thing have a "hot light" for god sake? I know a few people that ran this set-up and did not blow-up stuff up...But again, not that warm of water.

The IC's going in before the next ride.

Thanks
    its not so much the water, but the really hot air coming out of the s/c and going straight into your motor. the hot air outside is another thing that poses an issue for hotter intake temps. in some test results in another thread, they were saying that in larger chargers the outlet temp (air coming out of the s/c) was in the 260* range...i would guess a x charger is in the 180~200* outlet temps (depending how long you go wot) and going straight into your motor. ideal intake temp would be near 100*

OK. 200 is not even close to 100! We shall see what kind of performance boost I will get from the IC. If I get more than 250rpm, I'm going to be at 7600 in hot air. I may need to get prop done? It's a 12/20 now but without IC I'm seeing about 7300.

+1
    I don't think "got boost" understands that you are modifying a generic GTX 185 that had no IC in the first place.

I added an external 2008 IC in my 2005 185 GTX, and got much better throttle response, acceleration, and overall performance - HUGE difference! The stock ECU rpm limit on this ski is 7650. You will see a good increase with the 215 HP internal IC, but not as good as an external IC configuration. The advantage of your setup will be less congestion in the rear of the ski, as mine is a real tight fit.

You DEFINITELY need to send your impeller to Erik at www.speedfreeksracing.com to re-pitch to 12.5/18 to get your rpms up to 7600-7650 in the heat.

My weather conditions in Texas are not different from yours, 600' MSL and very hot water and air temps.

Look at my signature closely.

Have fun.

Alright. So I won't blow my motor up! Thanks for the response. I am looking forward to getting the IC. I'll check it out next weekend at Lake Mojave, then see about the re-pitch.

Appreciate it and I will study your sig.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information