Need Advice on 2003 GTX 4-Tec SC

At the end of last season, my cousin was on the seadoo and the ski died on him. That was the last time that it was up and running. At the time I thought he ran out of gas (since it was really low and he was heading back to the dock). I took it out of the water and stored it in my garage for the winter. I didn't have a chance to use my seadoo at all this year. Finally I went to get her ready and she wouldn't crank at all.

I thought the starter was blown cause all I was getting was the starter solenoid engaging but the motor wouldn't turn. I replaced that and put a new battery in but it still wouldn't start. I pulled the spark plugs to see if I could turn the motor over without them being in. I pulled the first two spark plugs and everything looked good. When I pulled the third plug, it was crushed.

Fearing the worst, I took it to a mechanic and he stuck a scope in the cylinder. He told me that the entire top of the piston is gone. He thinks that a valve dropped and seized up the motor.

What are my options at this point? I know I can get a replacement motor, but that is more than I want to spend on the seadoo. I was contemplating selling it, so the though of spending 4-5K to get a replacement is just not worth it to me. Can I get it down cheaper? He told me about SBT, but he has not had good experience with their motors. HE said they routinely come back blown.

I was thinking about selling the ski before all of this. What do you think I can get for it as-is with a trailer? The ski itself has about 100 hours on it. I am the second owner and have had it since 2005 at which point it had 20 hours on it. The only issue I have had with it is that I had to replace the starter once before.

Thanks for your time and help.

Rob

+1
    where are you located? I would expect it if clean to be worth up to $1500 with a blown engine if clean and complete.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    where are you located? I would expect it if clean to be worth up to $1500 with a blown engine if clean and complete.

I am locating in the Philadelphia region. It is clean, as far as I know, it has never seen salt water. I have only ridden it in the Chesapeak Bay, MD. I have owned it since it had 20 hours on it and the previous owner said he only used in in the Pocono's.

the hull is in great shape. $1500 is what the mechanic who is working on it offered me for it. I'll probably just go that route.

Thanks for your guys input.

Thread Information