Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Winter/December in Europe....

I'll be taking a trip in mid December to Munich Germany, Venice Italy & Paris France... What should I expect for weather in those parts? How should I dress? Gloves no gloves needed? While we're there we are going to see The Scorpions at the Olympiapark Dec 17th!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=olymp...w=1440&bih=813

Any info for preparation is greatly appreciated!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    I'll be taking a trip in mid December to Munich Germany, Venice Italy & Paris France... What should I expect for weather in those parts? How should I dress? Gloves no gloves needed? While we're there we are going to see The Scorpions at the Olympiapark Dec 17th!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=olymp...w=1440&bih=813

Any info for preparation is greatly appreciated!
    Well if it helps any. Rome Italy is on the same latitude as Chicago, Il....I'm going to have to say its going to be cold. Munich is at the base of the Alps so that will be like Denver but not as high. Denver is exactly one mile above sea level as Munich is about 1700ft. Anthing else would be similar to Wisconsin weather. Humididty is realitively the same as well.
    Get your beer drinking up to par for Munich. I walked in to Oktobre Fest by pure accident and I dont remember much of it. But a great city and lots of history. Make sure to go to some castle tours. go to the Neuschwanstein castles. very cool. Also, bring ketchup... there is not a bottle till you hit Switzerland. its a mayonays/curry blend. it sucks. For Venice make sure you bring the water boots cause its sinking. last time I was there St Marks square was under 6" of water. It stinks too. Dont bother looking to take a gondola ride as its something like $100 to go around the block or two. I would say, if you can go to Florence as its pretty close and maybe the leaning tower of Piza and Rome. Beware when you order pizza anywhere...when it says that it has egg on it, its not scramlbed egg. its raw and right in the middle. YUCK! Trains are cheap way to travel there. Watch out for the Africans trying to seel you knock off shit. if they see you with cash you will get bum rushed by a dozen all wanting you to buy a fake Gucci or Rolex. The pan handlers need to rub off on the american ones. they at least will sit there quietly, kneeling, face in the pavement with their hands out. Paris is very cool. Try to speak the language as they hate when people think that they automatically speak english. same as what we think of people speaking spanish here when they need to speak english. the Louve is awesome and so is the palace of versailes.

hope this helps...I can go on for hours.. I was over there backpacking for 8 weeks after college
    Last edited by airbornexp; 09-06-2012 at 07:30 PM.

+1
    well, take an overcoat, and take gloves. depending on how you are traveling, usually indoors and the trains have good heat. you dont necessarily need to dress for a blizzard, but be smart about it, and dress in layers. usually during the day, its not so bad.. if its not snowing, then its ok.. at night, make sure you have a place to go, because if its snowy or icy, as soon as the sun goes down, it hurts.

ive been to sweden, denmark, germany, in january.. it was f'ing cold jack.. but not so bad after 2-3 days.. you can get frostbite at night, especially if drinking and not noticing the cold.. so be aware of that.

+1
    Thanks for the tips!!

+1

Venice and Northern Europe are freezing that time of year, my brother lives just north of Venice a have done a few winters skiing there I can tell you it can get cold. I have a photo showing -26 deg C, so go prepared, how are you thinking of getting around?

Take gloves, thermals, scarf etc. wear thermals under your jeans. As a sight see'erI you are not active like if you were skiing, walking around Venice in the wind can get real cold. This is not to detract from the experience as it is still awesome.
    Last edited by Autosport; 09-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.

+1
    also you need to remember that its not like traveling in the US. France is the size of Texas, Germany about the size of Montana so tavel is short(er) than you may think. You wont be doing much driving as everything is very close. Trains and subways are not the same as they are here or the buses. use them as they are cheap. every neighborhood is like its own little town. just about every corner is a restraunt, grocery, pharmacy ect...all unique. Dining in France is an experience. its not like the US where its a kinda dine and dash. The french like to eat slowly. its all ala carte and served that way too. dinner will take you 2-3 hours. If you have the cash go to the Eifle tower restraunt at the top...your wife will love it. I'll post more as I recall it

+1

Shame you're there in winter, if you are on this forum I guess you like motor sport, and the ultimate experience is a lap driving around the nurburgring in Germany, however it's normally covered in snow that time of year.

As mentioned above, if you can get to the neuschwanstein castle which isn't too far from Munich it's great, it's the "Walt Disney" castle that featured in Chitty Chitty bang bang.
    If you're in a car, do the drive from Venice north to Cortina, then up through the Brenner pass into Austria, it's a great famous drive.

Make sure you take decent shoes with thick soles, last time we were there, friends came with us, the wife had thin leather sole on her boots and the freezing ground transferred straight to her feet making them real cold.

The swarovski museum just outside Insbruk in Austria is cool experience as well.

My top euro cities would have to be
    Vienna, Florence, Munich and Berlin.

While in Munich, make sure you go to the hofbrauhaus beer hall, have a beer and a pork knuckle or schnitzel, that is a MUST DO! The are a lot of beer halls, but this is the most famous and best

+1
    I toured neuschwanstein back in 1976 when I was 11.. I remember that well as well as the concentration camp.. That was eerie. I'm bringing my Wolverine water proof / slip resistant boots along.. LOL.

Travel in Munich will be by metro, Gonna take a trip to Matthias Jabs' guitar shop 6 miles away.. we are staying at the Four Points By Sheraton Munich Olympiapark
    Then we're staying at the Danieli in Venice and will stay in at night...http://danieli.hotelinvenice.com/
    then Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel in Paris so who know what we'll do at night there, everything is walking distance.. http://splendidhoteltoureiffel.paris...o-gallery.html
    Thanks again!! Any more info will be very useful!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post

While in Munich, make sure you go to the hofbrauhaus beer hall, have a beer and a pork knuckle or schnitzel, that is a MUST DO! The are a lot of beer halls, but this is the most famous and best
    ABSOFRICKENLOUTLY! Thats where my night started and ended(at some point) during Oktobre Fest!

My favorite euro cities...
    Paris, Interlaken, Florence, Munich, and if your geniology takes you to the old counrty as mine does I found my families home town as far back as the late 1600's in Naumburg. Germany

+1

In Paris, book in to see the moulin rouge, book well in advance and don't go to any of the knock offs, go genuine or not at all. Expensive but a true experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information