Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Member/Owner

Hey all!
    I'm new to the forums, just wanted to pop in and say hi. The girlfriend and I picked up a couple skis in late July, I got a '12 Kawi Ultra 300x, she got a '12 Yama VRX. After about 15 hours on each I have a few observations:

The power of the Kawi is outrageous! Acceleration is instant and violent, just the way I like it If you trim it right you can carve about as sharp as anything I've ever ridden. About the only thing I don't like is how thirsty it is, but that probably has more to do with my thirst for speed...

The Yama is a much more forgiving ride. Acceleration is smoother, same top speed, just takes a tick longer to get there. It's about 280 lbs lighter as well, which makes catching some air a bit easier.

Overall I'm very happy with them. I'm thinking about the R&D SCOM for the Kawi, I probably won't do too much else as I'm just a rec rider. If anyone has a suggestion for a depth finder I'm all ears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	282427

Banned User
    +1

New Member/Owner

Congrats on the new skis two good ones there. If your happy with the top speed leave it stock. At least untill your warranty is up.

The Yamaha is a much more forgiving ride ??? Please explain in what regard you think the yamaha is a better ride ?

+1
    What he meant was smoother power band therefore, less hold on for dear life when pulling the trigger.
    Good grief....if water is glass, most boats are going to be smooth ride. He's a rec rider not a offshore racer....

Well this is certainly an interesting Picture. Usually it would be "two YAMs" or "2 KAW's". But I like what the Author has done here: An attempt to have two different Skis for different types of water (that's what I see).

And yes as Chriss points out I too find this point interesting: "The VXR is a much smoother ride". Having ridden both and having a VXR myself . . . . I can't say I would come to the same general conclusion in all types of water.

I would not modify either Ski if I were you (unless you are racing and need to go faster / quicker). As you have pointed out, both of these Skis are quick and fast out of the box. Don't forget which one takes 91 octane and the other 87 Octane. I guess if you just always put 91 in both that should keep you from making an "honest mistake". JB

is there a brace missing on that trailer ?

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    is there a brace missing on that trailer ?
    Not that I'm aware of, brand spankin new. Where are you looking?

at the tail end of the winch post frame thats welded to the trailer frame, alum isnt that strong, i would want a brace at the tail end welded to the frame. jmt.

+1
    the trailer is very light duty

Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    The Yamaha is a much more forgiving ride ??? Please explain in what regard you think the yamaha is a better ride ?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    What he meant was smoother power band therefore, less hold on for dear life when pulling the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Well this is certainly an interesting Picture. Usually it would be "two YAMs" or "2 KAW's". But I like what the Author has done here: An attempt to have two different Skis for different types of water (that's what I see).
    By forgiving I meant it's a bit less raw. Like a base Lancer against an Evo. I didn't say a "better" ride, I prefer my 300X to it by a mile. The Yamaha is my girlfriend's, she isn't the speed freak I am. I'd take either of them in any type of water really.

I'm probably going to end up starting a big debate, but with only having ridden a small selection prior (couple of SeaDoos, Kawis, all NA engines), I don't have much to go on in the way of comparison.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information