winterization needed for an unused new ski?

Hello. I'll be buying a new ski this fall. In the event that I do not get around to taking it out until next spring, is it neccessary to do the typical winterization procedures? Do dealers test these during prep in any way that would introduce water into the ski? Also would the cylinders have sufficient fogging oil from the factory? It's Penna. and the off season would be about 5 months. Thanks in advance.

+1
    I bought mine last November and the dealer said it was fine and it was. You can fog it if you want but not necessarily needed. Dealers basically charge a lot to do no so much and nothing you cant do. I would just be sure to put Stabl or Sea Foam in a full tank of gas and you will be fine if you run it on the hose for a few minutes to get into the motor to prevent condensation. Obviously take the battery out and tender it inside for the winter, clean the ski and cover, and get the tires off the cold concrete(I put the tires on foam and keep them aired up and out of the mud and such). Good luck. Have the dealer fog it as part of the closing deal, but it may be hard to tell if they actually did it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    Hello. I'll be buying a new ski this fall. In the event that I do not get around to taking it out until next spring, is it neccessary to do the typical winterization procedures? Do dealers test these during prep in any way that would introduce water into the ski? Also would the cylinders have sufficient fogging oil from the factory? It's Penna. and the off season would be about 5 months. Thanks in advance.

Yes I would. I assume they ran the ski on a hose for a few minutes at least. You don't have to fog the cylinders but for 5 bucks a year it's worth the peace of mind. My skis always sits inside a heated garage and I still fog them whenever they will sit for more than a few weeks.
    Last edited by r33pwrd; 09-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Thread Information