+1

Looking at a pair of 96 XP 787's w/double trailer - value?

So last night I went with my brother to check out a pair of 96 seadoo xp 787's. I've got several Polaris skis so I'm pretty familiar with them and common issues/things to look for but I'm new to the seadoo side of things. I'm looking for a little advice on what the value of this package is in it's current condition. Here's what it is:

Ski 1: Starts and runs but the battery is shot (I brought my own). We didn't check compression but he said it clocked in at 55mph on the GPS (is that about right?). The carbs were recently rebuilt (didn't check wash and probalby need to be checked anyways). It supposedly has working VTS and the overall condition is rough-fair. It did fire right up once we put my good battery in it. This has a broken speedo paddle wheel, the tach didn't work and the fuel gauge read low.

EDIT: I forgot to add that when I revved this engine it had an odd vibration. I'm not sure but I suspect the pump probably needs new bearings which makes me wonder if the impeller is worn too.

Ski 2: The starter was removed so we couldn't fire it up. I rolled over the motor by hand from the impeller area as the intake grate was gone. The motor/impeller assembly seemed ok. As the story goes, he bought both last year and went to start them and the one wouldn't run worth crap. Supposedly one cyl only has 90 psi but we were unable to verify. This included an extra vts module that he said didn't work. Again, this was in rough-fair condition and the battery was toast.

Trailer: It was a no-name galvanized setup that needed bunks and didn't have any posts to tie off the fronts and needed lights. Tires looked ok and it seemed structurally solid but definitely needed work to be 100%.

I know about what the running ski/trailer are worth but what about the second ski? Are the parts worth much if the motor is toast? I don't think it'd be worth putting a crank into it but I'm not sure. It looks like at a minimum it'd need a new cyl/piston and possibly a crank.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    obviously neglected and unwanted. if the trailer is ok I'd go $600 for the whole deal if the seats were good and the hull bottom wasn't trashed.

you'll be putting alot of time and money into these...what's you're budget?, as a nice running pair of xp's get around $3-4k here when we have water in the lake.

i think blue book on a 1996 xp is about 1400 dollars and thats in very good condition . anytime you buy something used its going to need some money put in to it . 96 xp's are know for the front motor mounts braking and on some you will need to repair the hull were the motor mount bolts to the hull . [ fiberglass work ] not hard just suck have to pull motor . grab the pipe and see if you can lift the front of the motor . look for oil in the bottom of the hull to . that mean broken oil lines .

+1
    Yea, around here a clean 96 XP 787 seems to be going for around $700-1000 with single trailer depending on condition. Had these been in better shape I think we might have been able to work out a deal. I'm wondering if the front motor mounts were the cause of the vibration when I revved the engine up.

Actually now that I think about it, I think both of them had some oil in the bottom of the hull. Are there any other common issues with these XP's or others in the same age range?

Thanks for the help!

well i will say this . if you can find one and the hull is in very good condition and the motor runs good . all the little stuff you can fix . used parts are all over . the pumps are very easy to over hull if the pump shaft is in good shape . $60 bucks will get you a bearing and seal kit . wear rings are $30 bucks from the right place . $70 dollars can get a prop reconditioned . look at RAVE valve for leaks . if you need to fix them thats about $140 bucks for after market parts , new bellows and valves with gaskets . i would pull plugs and see if they are both burning the same . if you can ride one then ride it . i would say you are not going to buy any ski that is 15 plus years old and not have to put some money in it . if you can work on it yourself its a plus . if you can't it will add up very fast . $800 dollars ski can turn in to a money pit very fast . i would rather buy one that has been rid'in rather then been sitting for 8 years to . but sometimes that does not say much . the prices i posted will vary on where you buy and if you can do the work youself . just remember if you don't feel good about a deal just walk away . because you can always go back .

+1
    Yea, this wasn't the deal for my brother. I think he said he registered here but hasn't posted. I actually picked up a 96 XP for him on Sunday so I'll let him post up the details on that. It just needs some minor work and the fuel system gone through.

Thread Information