Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hard starting fix!!!

If this is in the wrong area, someone please move. thanx

So my 97 waverunner wave venture is hard to start, seems the fuel drains back from the carbs while it sits. So we would always pull the seat off, remove the plastic cap above the carbs and give it a shot of starting fluid, then juggle the throttle and the seat replacement. was a sort of "yamaha ballet" that seemed a pain, especially after a few brews. so I brainstormed a fix.

A bottle of starting fluid mounted in the front trunk, secured with a hose clame. I know, this box is supposed to be watertight? I could care less, so i took a grinder and grinded a few slots to run a hose clamp through.

then you get this little tiny hose from a lawn mower repair shop that fits tightly onto the red straw on the starting fluid. I purchases four feet and it was perfect.

I then drilled a small hole in the top of the intake, and taped the hose to the plastick intake. the hose is about an inch in.

Now instead of dancing around the ski to juggle the seat after a spill, i need only open the front hatch, give it a shot while im hitting the start button, and were off!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting fluid 2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	282563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting fluid.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	282564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starting fluid 3.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	282565

+1
    this is awesome

+1
    Wow, I applaud your adaptation setup, very clever. Perhaps I'm just over-cautious, but using a bottle of starting fluid gives me the chills when I think of the safety aspect and what could happen. Just me personally but I would have installed a primer kit.

+1

Hard starting fix!!!

I agree but is it any less safe than a can rolling around the hull of the ski? And yes a primer would be ideal and cheaper in the long run

+1

Hard starting fix!!!

I'm not a carb guy but I bet the proper fix is not that hard?

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Well, id like to acknowledge that there are most likely a dozen ways to fix this, and they range from $15 to a few thousand (different ski). Im not saying this was the best fix, but for a used ski that i dont want to spend a load on, this took me a half hour and it starts right up. Ive installed check valves, rebuilt carbs, even put in a hand primer like you'de see on a fishing boat tank. the gas still drains back to the tank enough to make starting hard after it sits for a while.

Oh, and i put in one of those pump primers that looks like a headlight switch on an older car, blew the seal out in that after two uses.

so if any of you are not comfortable with a can of starter fluid in the trunk, dont do it. Ive had a can in there for years, never been an issue. Enjoy if you think this will help, and I applaud anyone who voices concern as safety is ultimately an issue. See ya on the lake!!

+1
    I heard its bad to use starting fluid on a 2 stroke,I was always told to use wd40there has to be something still wrong to cause the fuel to flow back,most likely your tank is not holding pressure,wouldn't it be easier to mount the fuel up lines up higher so the gravity would keep fuel in the lines

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alemonnation View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Well, id like to acknowledge that there are most likely a dozen ways to fix this, and they range from $15 to a few thousand (different ski). Im not saying this was the best fix, but for a used ski that i dont want to spend a load on, this took me a half hour and it starts right up. Ive installed check valves, rebuilt carbs, even put in a hand primer like you'de see on a fishing boat tank. the gas still drains back to the tank enough to make starting hard after it sits for a while.

Oh, and i put in one of those pump primers that looks like a headlight switch on an older car, blew the seal out in that after two uses.

so if any of you are not comfortable with a can of starter fluid in the trunk, dont do it. Ive had a can in there for years, never been an issue. Enjoy if you think this will help, and I applaud anyone who voices concern as safety is ultimately an issue. See ya on the lake!!
    Well said and thanks for not taking my post in a negative way as it certainly wasn't meant that way. Just trying to look out for ya cuz' we all have done things that we perhaps ought to have thought a bit longer about. LOL

I see now that you went through a host of things before doing what I call "doing what ya have to do".

My son's carbed Kawi 900STX came to us with one of those boat hand pumps on the fuel line, works like a charm when it comes to that first start-up after sitting all week.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    here comes the parteee-pooper......

nothing good will come of this setup and frankly speaking, it's akin to smoking while you are filling an empty gas tank. Find somebody who is competent to fix your ski. A properly set up yamaha should start easily with minimal choke. Starter fluid mistakes kill people..if you are one of the real lucky ones, maybe you lose an eye or a bit of your hand.

This season I had a mint gp800 show up with an outboard primer bulb in the main fuel feed. All it took was a careful rebuild of the carbs and bang-o, one touch starting with no choke. The guy that owned the ski was totally floored. He had it at three different shops in Colorado with no joy on a real fix. Lots of BS, carb "adjustments" and spark plugs. No problem with the tank vents. My guess is that the check valves were never installed correctly in the carbs.

outboard primer bulbs are NOT RATED for use inside an enclosed area ( like your hull)..no competent shop would touch a ski that showed up with one of those things in there..unless they were tearing it out.

By no means am I the hottest/bestest carb builder in the business, I'm just a guy in the desert., but it don't take much to clear up an overflowed toilet if you have tools and know how.

in the big picture a new set of carbs installed would cost you less then the first trip you need to take to an emergency room. Assuming that is a piece of exploded exhaust hose doesn't take off a bit of your ear or perhaps blind you in one eye.

Yeah, I know..you all have been using starter fluid for years..and @54 I need extra fingers ( I still have all of mine btw) 2 count the people I have known and come across over the years that were seriously injured by excessive use of ether. Remember scarface in XXX? Ether flash fires are hot and fast..far hotter then a little gas going "poof". I can literally melt your skin off.

A squirt bottle with a little premix in it would so the same thing, without the brutal risk.

Fixing it properly would be a far far better way to spend the winter instead of catching a few extra football games.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    outboard primer bulbs are NOT RATED for use inside an enclosed area ( like your hull)..no competent shop would touch a ski that showed up with one of those things in there..unless they were tearing it out.
    Thanks for the heads up from your experience, I appreciate it.
    My son's 900STX ski came to us with one on it. I did wonder about the safety aspect of it but left it since the ski was so hard to start. It did seem to help with start-up after sitting all week.

I just replaced the CV carb set on it with a set of CDK's...much better, fires right up.
    The outboard primer bulb will be taken off/out within the hour.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information