Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Unexpected buck, pressure reliefs plugged up

Our river where I ride has been swollen from rain and the result is tons of leaves small branches in the water. I had my ski locked down pretty solid at 87mph ( soon to be faster with rude2 and reflash) but yesterday when doing a speed run it bucked pretty hard and caught me off gaurd. I pulled it out of the water expecting to see a broken grate or ? What I found was 2 stopped up 1 inch relief valves and I could see stuff in it keeping the valves from closing. I pulled them off , cleaned out and within 20 miles of riding they were stopped up again.

These are the brass valves I'm talking about. They work great when river isn't loaded up with trash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2relief.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	282584

So until our water goes down and trash subsides, I removed the valves and ziptied the hoses together under the pump so they would stay in the water longer while idling around and accelerating. There is vacuum on them until you get on plane, but by 20mph they are pumping water pretty good. In the video I added an extension hose to view it and see when it stops pulling a vacuum. If you take it easy out of gate, no cavitation and ride relatively worry free they wont stop up with no valves. For our river riding, its an acceptable compromise for the safety of pressure reliefs working properly even in trashy waters.

You guys may already know all this , but its new to me and figured I'd share

Last edited by Avi8tor; 09-08-2012 at 08:16 PM.

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Ahhh shit, you only look at me like that when I've done something wrong.......
    Last edited by Avi8tor; 09-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.

+1
    I check mine every time I launch but never really considered they would load up that fast when riding. Good thread, thanks!

+1
    Its rare we have this much trash in the water. When it bucked, and I pulled the valves off, they were stopped up as well as an inch or so back into the hose had pieces of leaves/twigs that needed to be blown out. As soon as stops raining and river clears up, I'll reinstall the valves. Until then, this is where Im dumping the hoses.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	openreliefs.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	282623

+1
    None of us hve ever had that happen tht ride the St Johns and its very unusual for us not to ride through debris or have to cut cross grassy sections. Also I've never used that type of valve before and the ones I do are unshrouded. We are also using larger inlets to the vallve as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    None of us hve ever had that happen tht ride the St Johns and its very unusual for us not to ride through debris or have to cut cross grassy sections. Also I've never used that type of valve before and the ones I do are unshrouded. We are also using larger inlets to the vallve as well.
    I think its a combination of 2 things. 1, is your valve is a much better design than ones on my ski. I bought the wrong ones when I installed them initially. When I reinstall my valves, I'll have unshrouded ones like you are running and 2, I think leaves and grass pass my valves, but the little twigs from branches are what jams them up initially and then the leaves pack in from there.

It for sure is dangerous when they stop up unexpectedly.

Banned User
    +1
    thats one of the reasons I use the pump shoe holes method like kawaski did with the ultra 150 + the vacume pulls alot more water out at speed than just the push can do. You have the pressure + vac the faster u go the faster the pressure is relived and more vac to pull the water and they never stop up because its impossible for debrie to make that turn instead of just flowing on through the big hole.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    thats one of the reasons I use the pump shoe holes method like kawaski did with the ultra 150 + the vacume pulls alot more water out at speed than just the push can do. You have the pressure + vac the faster u go the faster the pressure is relived and more vac to pull the water and they never stop up because its impossible for debrie to make that turn instead of just flowing on through the big hole.
    How big would you make the pumpshoe holes?

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    How big would you make the pumpshoe holes?
    I would like to know this also, can someone post pics of where and how to do this. Angles? etc. Are guys out there running these relief holes and the valves. Ski's running speeds above 95 that is?

Sorry to hi-jack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information