Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1994 Waveraider squirley on plane

Hello All,
    I have only ridden this ski a few times. Except for running full out or close to it, the ski seems to move, or dance around a lot. Very similar to "Chine walk" in a boat. Even with a passenger it does it. It will lean to the left side and it takes a fair amount of body English to right it.
    There is no water in the bilge, the steering linkage seems ok. The ski runs great other wise.
    Could there be an issue or is it the nature of that ski?? My other "Waverunner III" doesn't do this.
    THX !!

+1
    sounds like a normal handling raider to me. those hulls were built to go fast at WOT on smooth water. Somewhat of an unpredictable hull. Yes, it is chine walking. You just have to learn how to ride it. It requires a bit of manhandling.

+1
    just a thought to, how does the hull and keel look? any signs of any repairs?

Re: 1994 Waveraider squirley on plane

LoL!! Welcome to the Raider life. If you feel uncomfortable on the 94 then stay away from the 1100! That ski is angry. It turns when it wants to.

Thanks guys!! After reading many other "Waveraider" posts, I kinda got the idea it was the design. I will give the hull some attention cause it is a bit beat up.
    What should I do there? Can I just lightly sand out the scratches?
    Hey Caliburn, is that a CHECKMATE in your avatar???

+1
    The raider is a fun hull but a bit unpredictable. I had my girlfriend with me on my old raider years ago and as I was passing a boat, caught his wake and dumped us both into the water. Pretty embarressing. Still great playful hulls.. Enjoy

Re: 1994 Waveraider squirley on plane

Quote Originally Posted by Scoober View Post
    Thanks guys!! After reading many other "Waveraider" posts, I kinda got the idea it was the design. I will give the hull some attention cause it is a bit beat up.
    What should I do there? Can I just lightly sand out the scratches?
    Hey Caliburn, is that a CHECKMATE in your avatar???
    You're going to need a 3 foot sander to ensure an even flow to the "smoothing" process. There are aftermarket ride plates for the Raider that have helped but there a little hard to come by. I'm sure a grate would help some.

+1
    yes it is, its a 86 21' Starflite that I fully restored, If your scratches are not to deep I would not bother, but you can post a pic and show us,I would be glad to help,

4Rider, Can u b more specific on the plate & grate, ie. brand/model? I don't need to make these mods right away, so if I keep looking I might find find that plate. I assume the grate is still being made??
    I will get some pics of the hull in the next couple days..

Caliburn, we b fellow Checkmate owners!! I have an 82 Diplomat Bowrider that I bought new way back when. It has a 150 Johnson with a clever wheel & Jack plate and has run a best of 71 mph.. I am almost finished with the install of a low water pick, bigger carbs, slight head shave, cleaned up the intake and will run a chopper
    wheel... Hoping to break the 80 mark!!!

+1
    NICE, got to love those Diplomat's fast as all hell, I got a 225 Merc, with a jackplate,but can only do 64 with my big o beast, nothing beats going that fast on 3to4 foot swells, thinkin I am on Miami vice, except my skis LOL onlClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	282700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	282701

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information