Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 cyl ign update with a 3 cyl kit

Ok, had to order a 2873051 ign update kit for a 3 cyl for my slt 700. Installed the kit. I now am able to start and run but found the pto is not under power. I unplug the pto cyl and the engine dies. I unplug the mag cyl plug and engine will run.i now have fire out of my pto cyl but i think not the right time.i have spark but not firing the cyl. What do i need to do to get that cyl to fire at the correct time. I hooked up the blk and green wire from stator to coil. I left the blk and blue unhooked. What do i need to do to get the pto cyl to fire at the right time? I have also tried to hook up the mag wire to the pto and it still wont run on the pto cyl. I am so confussed and dont know what to do from here. Pls help. Does this 3 cyl kit not fire on every stroke the the org ing system did.

Thanks for your help

Banned User
    +1
    Did you install the 3 cylinder stator? I doubt you could run a 3 cylinder stator on a 2 cylinder motor. I could see a 3 cylinder CDI possibly working with a 2 cylinder stator.

Yes i did. That is what i was told to do on this site. So u r saying this wont work.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Can I use. Three cylinder Ignition System Update Kit on a two cylinder carb engine?

My understanding is that you can use a three cylinder Gen III CDI on a two cylinder motor, but there are some things to note;

You must use a three cylinder ignition coil pack, not the double ended single coil pack that is normally used with the two cylinder Gen III ignition.
    You may be able to use the older/original two cylinder (Gen I, Gen II) two cylinder ignition coil, but I did not cross check the coil specs before writing this note.

The stator must be a two cylinder Gen III type. The three cylinder stator will not work as the Hall Effect sensors are not in the correct timing position for the PTO cylinder on a twin engine.

The ignition timing curve will be different between a three cylinder CDI and two cylinder CDI. How much different, I am not sure.

The good news; that three cylinder update kit has resale value!
    Last edited by K447; 09-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Splendid. Stator originally bad. So everything will work except what is bad. Just my luck. I must have misunderstood when in the last thread to order this kit. So now what is a person to do? I am getting fet up with this dam thiing.knowiing what i know now i would have junked the darn thing

Banned User
    +1
    Find a 2cylinder stator on eBay. Or they may be available new. The kits are just unavailable. Sell the update kit you have now.

Just checked the last thread i was in. BryanP, you were the one that told me to order that kit. Now you tell it wont work?

Just checked the last thread i was in. BryanP, you were the one that told me to order that kit. Now you tell it wont work? Anyone want to buy a 3 cyl update kit?

+1
    how much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information