+1

NGK Plugs; BPR projected tip spark plugs vs. BR non-projected tip spark plugs

Can anybody explain the performance / burn differences between a projected tip (BPR) and non projected tip (BR) spark plug? I know the physical differences, but wondering what the technical performance differences are......

Thanks!
    Last edited by K447; 09-09-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Expanded thread title

Banned User
    +1
    I have often wondered the same thing. The only thing I have heard is that a BR9ES is similar in performance to a BPR8ES

I would use whatever they designed to be in the ski. Would take a wag and say the projected tip reduces fouling.

+1
    Here are the answers to my questions..... I think this is a good link for the Tech section or the PWC Knowledgebase, if it isn't already in there......

http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/tech-info-spark-plugs.cfm

"A projected style spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10C to 20C."

Good info, all I know is at one time I had BR9ES plugs in one of my SL650's for a short time (dealer had installed them) and it was running really weak....the plugs were all gapped correctly, but as soon as I put in the proper (BPR7ES) plugs there was a night and day difference. Not sure it that was due to incorrect heat rating or what, or if one of the plugs was defective (none were fouled though) but the difference was huge. So it makes good sense to me to run the plugs that your ski was designed to run

does anyone ever run iridium plugs? so the 780 takes a bpr8es has anyone tried a bpr8eix? i know in a car this would give a slight performance gain. what about with a two stroke? thanks

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    +1
    Iridium tends to actually foul quicker than std In my experiences and costs 3-4 times as much, slight performance gain in certain apps. Just remember switching from b series to a bp series can in some cases cause a loss/gain in power or cause/prevent detonation (every engine is different, depends on squish band, dome shape etc) by changing flame front, combustion temp and burn speed. Getting carb jetting spot-on will yield much greater power gains then a spark plug ever will.

Thread Information