newbie says hi and How old?

Hi all,
    Iíve just bought my first jetski, itís a 19something 440 kawasaki stand-up. I have absolutely NO idea about it, or how to use it. In fact I donít even know if it works!!!!!! (wot a plonker huh!?)
    I have to buy a battery first to see if it turns over etc. Apparently it has some sort of fuelling issue??
    Does anyone know how to date them? Also does anyone know where I can get a manual for it, and finally does anyone know where in South Wales close to Newport I can get some lessons on how to try and stay on board??
    Iím gonna try and use this as a step to getting another slightly newer one (if I like it that is!!!!!)
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: newbie says hi and How old?

not sure if its the same as a yami, but the last 2? numers on the HIN# should be the year

+1
    Welcome aboard, oldmandon!

When first trying to learn to ride one, tighten up your swim suit and drag behind it. As you pick up speed, pull yourself up onto the 'Ski into a kneeling position. As you gain speed, you can try standing up. It turns funny, so make gentle turns until you get accustomed to it. The early ones didn't have kill switches, when you fell off, it would idle and a spring on the steering mechanism would make it go around in circles.

Don't know about fuel issues, but that model requires pre-mixed fuel. Probably 50:1, but I'm not certain.

I would guess it's probably about a 1988 or so. There is a website that lists Kawasaki models by year. Do a search for Kawasaki JetSki History.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, oldmandon!

When first trying to learn to ride one, tighten up your swim suit and drag behind it. As you pick up speed, pull yourself up onto the 'Ski into a kneeling position. As you gain speed, you can try standing up. It turns funny, so make gentle turns until you get accustomed to it. The early ones didn't have kill switches, when you fell off, it would idle and a spring on the steering mechanism would make it go around in circles.

Don't know about fuel issues, but that model requires pre-mixed fuel. Probably 50:1, but I'm not certain.

I would guess it's probably about a 1988 or so. There is a website that lists Kawasaki models by year. Do a search for Kawasaki JetSki History.
    Thanks for that. Very helpful. When it’s running I’ll give it a go.... WHEN....!!!!!

Thread Information