Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: winterization

+1

winterization

So I've searched the site and have found most of the info I was looking for. However, I do have a few questions that I can't find the answers to and was hoping someone would chime in. In regards to winterizing my ski...I understand that I need to fog the cylinders and get all of the water out of the system including the water box. I also understand that there is no need to change my plugs until next spring. My question is, should I change the oil in the ski now or should I wait until the spring and change the oil when I install the new plugs. Furthermore, in the spring should I run the ski on the water for a bit to burn out the fogging oil before I install the new plugs? Also, other than getting all of the water out of the system and fogging the cylinders, am I missing any other steps to winterizing?

+1
    You can change the oil now or in spring it doesn't matter. Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gasoline.

Also have a question. My ski will be left at a mountain lake in northern california. Winter gets down to 0 degrees. Should I add antifreeze to the waverunner (2007 FX HO Cruiser) and if yes what would be the best way to do it?

+1
    Do a search on here. I posted how I winterize mine.

+1
    I prefer to change the oil in the fall when I winterize. If you change in the spring you've had dirty oil coating everything all winter. Not that I think it will do much harm, but it def won't hurt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    So I've searched the site and have found most of the info I was looking for. However, I do have a few questions that I can't find the answers to and was hoping someone would chime in. In regards to winterizing my ski...I understand that I need to fog the cylinders and get all of the water out of the system including the water box. I also understand that there is no need to change my plugs until next spring. My question is, should I change the oil in the ski now or should I wait until the spring and change the oil when I install the new plugs. Furthermore, in the spring should I run the ski on the water for a bit to burn out the fogging oil before I install the new plugs? Also, other than getting all of the water out of the system and fogging the cylinders, am I missing any other steps to winterizing?
    Fill your tank with premium fuel because the octane will degrade over the winter so 93 could possibly go down to 87. This way the first tank of gas next season won't be so crappy.

I'm leaning towards changing the oil/filter now just incase there is any moisture in the current oil. The only thing I'm worried about is leaving the new oil filter for 7 months after oil has run through it. I feel like leaving stagnant oil in the filter for 7 months will degrade the performance of the filter AND/OR I don't like the idea of letting the oil on the oil filter element dry out for 7 months. Maybe I can avoid this issue by changing the oil filter at the last possible chance before putting it away so no oil runs through the new filter.

+1
    Great input! I actually didn't even consider the fuel degrading over the winter. Thanks a bunch. So should I run the ski next spring in order to burn out the fogging oil before changing the plugs or does it not matter either way?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    Great input! I actually didn't even consider the fuel degrading over the winter. Thanks a bunch. So should I run the ski next spring in order to burn out the fogging oil before changing the plugs or does it not matter either way?
    Yeah run the ski with the old plugs for awhile till the fogging oil is burnt away so you don't foul brand new plugs.

+1
    That makes sense, thanks SpeedDemon99. I'm sure I could search for this but since we're on the topic; is there any specific brand of oil and filter that you prefer? I was thinking Amsoil marine 10/30 and a K&N filter because it has the socket attachment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information