gpr shoe question

Ok, so I am working on sealing my shoe and before I cover it in 5200 and jack/bolt it in place I was checking for proper positioning with a level and a nickle but it doesn't quite fit in there. A penny does the the nickle does not. I have cleaned up both surfaces. I am wondering if I should file the shoe down so the nickle fits or run it at the penny hight? It is almost even with the fron of the ride plate but not quite high enough for the nickle. Also, am I to keep as far back or forward as possible?

Thanks

D

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drhdrock View Post
    Ok, so I am working on sealing my shoe and before I cover it in 5200 and jack/bolt it in place I was checking for proper positioning with a level and a nickle but it doesn't quite fit in there. A penny does the the nickle does not. I have cleaned up both surfaces. I am wondering if I should file the shoe down so the nickle fits or run it at the penny hight? It is almost even with the fron of the ride plate but not quite high enough for the nickle. Also, am I to keep as far back or forward as possible?

Thanks

D
    Two things number 1 i would never use 5200 if you ever plain on taking the shoe out for anything i have see fiber glass pull apart trying to pry the shoe out with 5200. # 2 never use a jack to push the shoe up because you will start lifting the ski before you squeeze the sealant out between the shoe and hull and it will not be up high enough just put the bolts in and tighten them evenly and it will perfect.

Ok, that makes sense since that seems like some tuff stuff. It is what I have read to do on here but I was wondering how I would get it out? What would you recommend then?

D

Banned User
    +1
    What's the nickel thing your trying to,do

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drhdrock View Post
    Ok, that makes sense since that seems like some tuff stuff. It is what I have read to do on here but I was wondering how I would get it out? What would you recommend then?

D
    use 4200 or life seal from west marine.

I was reading to run a strait edge down the hull and use a nickle as a guage for hight...

+1
    I used boat life culk on my pump shoe and that works....

Banned User
    +1
    heat will work to get it back off and time. I use uv4000 it sticks better than 5200. Over time my 5200 started leaking and I had a mysterious speed loss. and a new buck that was not there before. A reseal fixed it.
    it took a few years for the leak to develope. Just bolt it up where it goes many have had handling problems after modding the shoe.

Thread Information