Thread: NEW!

NEW!

hello i have been looking around this forum for a while and still confused about it all i am looking for my first PWC and in no way a expert and need help(jeeps are my thing). I am 19 and just looking for a toy around 2000 so that puts me around the 90s PWC... i am not sure to get a 2 stroke or 4 stroke... what brand... what engine size i do like the 1100cc though... and just if someone could help fill me in it would be heavily appreciated... oh and i want something thats pretty fast and that i can jump behind my jet boat

+1
    Seadoo has the largest part of the market. They were the first to actually sell the modern runabouts back in 1967. Unfortunately the market wasnt ready for them...yet. Not until 1988, they tried again and hit a home run. For your price range it puts you about 1998-2002 range, depending on shape and your locale. Seadoo biggest 2 stroke is 951cc. It is comparable to the Yamaha 1200 and Kawasaki 1100. Seadoo chose to stay with two cylinders while everyone else went to three cylinders. They have the best looking line of skis and most power per cubic centimeter. Your choices of models that were the hot ticket back then, and by no means out of date either are the GTX(big three seater), RX(two seater) and XP(best as a single rider). All three skis have a good rep and equally fun to cruise on. The RX and XP are far more with the fun factor. Xp is the absolute best handling ski ever made. The RX and GTX are great with two up for just about any type of riding you want. They are all powered by the same 951cc engine and only a couple of mph different between them in stock form. Everyone has their opinions on Seadoo and other brands. After working on all three, I fail to see why anyone would not want the Seadoo. Just MHO.

okay that helps, i do like the sea doos look much better than any and i was looking for i guess what is a RX. now are all these 2 strokes or are some 4 and with the 2 stroke how often do they need re-built?

+1
    These models are all 2 stroke. Simple and easy to work on. I would recommend a carbureted one of the above models. If you take care of them properly, they will last a good ten years of enjoyment. You can play hard and not worry about much with a little common sense. For the last 12 years I have purchased the year range mentioned above that had blown up motors. Built up new and they are still going strong today. Several of my riding buddies have purchased their skis new and have over 300 hours already. None of them had any major engine problems. With exception to a starter and jet pumps, everything else is original as the day they were manufactured. Now there is a flip side to this from others that had just the opposite experiences. I have always stored mine inside year round, period. They still look like the day they were sitting on the show room floor. You wont be able to say that about most of the ones you will be looking at to purchase. People just dont take care of their toys during the off season or just plain stupid. I dunno which, or I am not going to say. The last few years, I have been picking up these same skis and they really need a lot of tlc to make look decent again. Some dont require so much and others are simply not worth the effort to bring back to life. If you find a good one that someone hasnt screwed up, it will be a blast. Unfortunately todays gas at the pump is garbage, and doesnt do well sitting during off season. Most people will just keep riding until the motor melts down. Then they get the shock of their life when taking it to the dealer to get fixed.

The RX is a good choice for an all around ski. Solid ride and stable, but still capable of making some good air on the right waves. Its has a reverse gate and variable trim to adjust the nozzle that puts the nose of ski up or down. Is the fastest of the three models. I dont really care to have a drag racer like most of the Yamaha guys seem to appeal to. I do like hole shot and good responding hull. Both with the RX. I actually own four of them right now. One I brought back from the dark side. It was way past gone and motor was blown to bits. It was a fuel injected model and those dont fair well if someone doesnt take proper care of one. I changed it over to a carb'ed model and its been running without a hick up for just about a year now.

well thanks you have been alot of help. i am no master mechanic but i am pretty good with small engines and after looking on craigslist i have taken a liking to a sea doo limited. what is the story on these and they seem to run around 3 with trailer

+1
    The early Limited skis were GSX, XP and GTX. They were the first models to have the 951 motors. In 98 and 99 the GTX Limited, GSX Limited and XP Limited. The GSX was dropped and replaced with RX in 2000. From 98-2002 The GTX, XP and RX(2000-2002) carbureted models are all basically the same. Same as Limited in 98/99. Price is stable on these during the riding season. They also have many models as "LE" or limited edition, which have optional accessories added as a package deal. They can any model ski with any engine. Keep this in mind when hunting for your treasure. If you were close to the DFW area, I could give you the ride of your life on any of the preferable models.

alright i really do like the GSX and if i was around that area i owuld take you up on that affer but i am in southern ohio but i thank you very much for your information if you never need jeep help just ask ha

Thread Information