1998 GSX LTD "Zero compression mag side"

Hi Guys
    I have a 1998 gsx ltd, I bought it used last year and the previous owner just did a top end rebuild. I went out on the water last weekend and it just started to bog down. I put it on the trailer got it started(by pressing the throttle quite a bit) hooked a hose up to it and it idle fine for about 20 mins. I then proceeded to put it back on the water again and within 5 mins it bogged down again. I brougt it home and did a compression test "0" on the mag side and 90 on the pto side. Now my question is could this just be a dirty carb problem? Or does it need another new top end? Rebuilding the top end is my last option I want to make sure I explore every avenue first.
    Thanks

A dirty carb could have caused a lean condition leading to your problem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wmenzie2001 View Post
    Hi Guys
    Now my question is could this just be a dirty carb problem? Or does it need another new top end? Rebuilding the top end is my last option I want to make sure I explore every avenue first.
    Thanks
    If you have no compression in one cylinder and only 90 in the other what makes you think fixing the carbs would restore the motor to its previous glory? You need a new top end, hopefully that is all to fix motor. The other problem is fuel delivery. Its from gas tank to carbs and back to gas tank. If the ski still has original grey TEMPO fuel lines, then everything needs to be replaced. All fuel lines, both 1/4 and 5/16. About 20 feet total. Carbs need to be removed from engine and disassembled, a thorough internal cleaning, replacing the diaphragms and needle/seats inside under round metering diaphragm. Fuel selector valve is another item needing to be replaced. Sometimes they can be cleaned out and reused, but if it has any leak between ON/RES motor will end up self destructing when fuel level in tank drops.
    Modern gas at the pumps is not the best thing to let sit up during off season for two stroke engines. Basically the kiss of death.

BTW, this is a project section. Are you going to do a complete writeup on whats needed to repair your ski? If not you will get more responses at either two stroke performance or open Seadoo sections.

Thread Information