Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

New member, new 2012 FZS

So I just bought a 2012 FZS (I hear the yellow gets you an extra 1 mph...) as I got a pretty good deal on the last one at the dealer, i hope anyway. Plus they'll store it free til spring which works out perfectly for me as I was tboned by a left turner on my motorcycle this summer and can't really ride yet which is why I decided to switch to a recreational activity where I (at least mostly) control whether I'm going to get smooshed or not. Anyway this appears to be the place to be to chat all things PWC and Yamaha so I've been perusing the threads and come up with a couple of questions. I have a place on a lightly boated medium sized lake and may trailer it a couple times a year to a very busy large recreational lake near my main house. Is the aftermarket intake grate, seal and ride plate a necessity and if so how difficult of an install is it. I like to think of myself as somewhat basically mechanically inclined and did all of my aftermarket parts additions to my MCs not including anything engine related but I've never owned a PWC so I just want to make sure Im not going to break something and sink it when I launch it the 1st time in the spring... . I should probably also note that I have a 5 yr old and a wife that will ride and the wife will probably drive 20% of the time also. Anything else anyone would recommend for a new owner that I should look out for or consider would be appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0415.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	282882

+1
    Intake grate is a must... It is so easy your 5 year old can do it for you! It takes more time to order the part than to install

Where are you located?
    Last edited by r33pwrd; 09-11-2012 at 08:24 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Is the aftermarket intake grate, seal and ride plate a necessity and if so how difficult of an install is it. I like to think of myself as somewhat basically mechanically inclined and did all of my aftermarket parts additions to my MCs not including anything engine related but I've never owned a PWC so I just want to make sure Im not going to break something and sink it when I launch it the 1st time in the spring... . I should probably also note that I have a 5 yr old and a wife that will ride and the wife will probably drive 20% of the time also. Anything else anyone would recommend for a new owner that I should look out for or consider would be appreciated. Thanks.
    That's a great ski, you will enjoy it.
    The only thing we feel that is required is the intake grate for safety; the others are more for performance enhancement.
    I put together some other tips for new PWC owners, see here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93951

+1
    Nice new ski bro!! All the mods you listed are very easy to install, just some bolts.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Be aware of 2012 tunnels braking.

+1
    Welcome. Be safe out there and enjoy.

+1
    Welcome...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Intake grate is a must... It is so easy your 5 year old can do it for you! It takes more time to order the part than to install

Where are you located?
    Sounds good. Up in MN so the riding season is pretty much over and with my leg still healing from my MC accident I'll be (not so) patiently waiting til next spring to get it out on the water. Dare I ask... Riva or R&D? And should I add the seal kit when I do the intake or does it matter if I'm not going to really do any more engine type mods?

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    The only thing we feel that is required is the intake grate for safety; the others are more for performance enhancement.
    Thanks for the link, checking it out.

This is who wanted the ski the most...

Name:	IMAG0411.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	282902

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post

Where are you located?
    Sounds good. Up in MN so the riding season is pretty much over and with my leg still healing from my MC accident I'll be (not so) patiently waiting til next spring to get it out on the water. Dare I ask... Riva or R&D? And should I add the seal kit when I do the intake or does it matter if I'm not going to really do any more engine type mods?

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Thanks for the link, checking it out.

This is who wanted the ski the most...

Name:	IMAG0411.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	282902
    Im running R&D and so are most of the people on here. I bought my ski mid summer so I do not have the plug kit on it (I didnt want the ski to be down for a weekend) and it rides just fine but does cavitate a bit. I will be installing it this winter.

I like the picture! I have one with my 2 year old son and daughter sitting on it in the driveway the night I brought it home

+1
    Welcome! Nice colors....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information