Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Crank Swapping

  1. #1

    Crank Swapping

    I have just purchased a 2008 RXP-X Long Block as my 2004 RXP dropped valves. for some reason i totally never thought about the different crank trigger placements. ERROR!!!

    Now i have to deal with my problem.... I have researched what other people have done on here but didnt really come up with a definitive answer. I have a good 04 crank and front cover with the crank pickup

    I believe the knock sensor setup is different am i able to swap out the knock sensor from my 04?

    What do you guys think i should do? Am i better to buy a RXP-X ECU, LOOM, Gauge cluster etc? ( I feel Like this will be the expensive option)

    all your help is much appreciated guys

    Cheers
    NICK230


  2. #2
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,930
    +1
    1,407
    Are you getting any codes? the position will not matter as long as the same year parts are used. IE 08 trigger with 08 PTO.

  3. #3
    I havent Installed the motor yet. But will the o8 trigger and 08 pto work with 04 electrics?

  4. #4
    suck my wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sugar Grove IL
    Posts
    2,872
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by nick230 View Post
    I havent Installed the motor yet. But will the o8 trigger and 08 pto work with 04 electrics?
    No they won't! You would need an 08 harness and ecu to run the 08 pto and trigger wheel. You can however redrill your 04 trigger wheel and use the 08 crank, then just use all your 04 electronic's

  5. #5
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,930
    +1
    1,407
    I thought it would work if you extend the harness/plug. Other differences oil pressure switch and TOPs valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nick230 View Post
    I havent Installed the motor yet. But will the o8 trigger and 08 pto work with 04 electrics?
    No they won't! You would need an 08 harness and ecu to run the 08 pto and trigger wheel. You can however redrill your 04 trigger wheel and use the 08 crank, then just use all your 04 electronic's

  6. #6
    suck my wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sugar Grove IL
    Posts
    2,872
    +1
    12
    [QUOTE=beerdart;2038340]I thought it would work if you extend the harness/plug. Other differences oil pressure switch and TOPs valve. [QUOTE=suck my wake;2038336]

    The magnetos are the same in all years so that would work but the pick up in 04-05 is located in a different spot in the PTO cover AND it has a different plug so it will not plug into an 06+ harness. Basically if this is an 04-05 ski and your trying to install an 06+ block/crank the easiest thing you can do is redrill the trigger wheel and position it on the crank as if it were an 04-05. Then you can use your 04-05 PTO on the new block and just plug n play from there. I am pretty sure the knock sensor is the same, you may need the pigtail for it but thats only because of the 04-05 electronics, it pertains to that only. The other thing to contend with is that when moddifying 04-05 It was recommended to run an oil jet in the block for restricted oiling of the valve train, so if you are going to do mods then you will need to either put this oil jet in the block to run your 04-05 head OR get the rocker shaft from an 06+ because the hole in the newer shaft is already restricted and there's no need for the jet in the block.....

  7. #7
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,930
    +1
    1,407
    True the location and plug is different but the signal to the ECU should be the same No? if using the 08 crank and 08 PTO. [QUOTE=suck my wake;2038427][QUOTE=beerdart;2038340]I thought it would work if you extend the harness/plug. Other differences oil pressure switch and TOPs valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post

    The magnetos are the same in all years so that would work but the pick up in 04-05 is located in a different spot in the PTO cover AND it has a different plug so it will not plug into an 06+ harness. Basically if this is an 04-05 ski and your trying to install an 06+ block/crank the easiest thing you can do is redrill the trigger wheel and position it on the crank as if it were an 04-05. Then you can use your 04-05 PTO on the new block and just plug n play from there. I am pretty sure the knock sensor is the same, you may need the pigtail for it but thats only because of the 04-05 electronics, it pertains to that only. The other thing to contend with is that when moddifying 04-05 It was recommended to run an oil jet in the block for restricted oiling of the valve train, so if you are going to do mods then you will need to either put this oil jet in the block to run your 04-05 head OR get the rocker shaft from an 06+ because the hole in the newer shaft is already restricted and there's no need for the jet in the block.....

  8. #8
    suck my wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sugar Grove IL
    Posts
    2,872
    +1
    12
    [QUOTE=beerdart;2038445]True the location and plug is different but the signal to the ECU should be the same No? if using the 08 crank and 08 PTO. [QUOTE=beerdart;2038340]

    The communications should be the same as far as I know, it's basically just a timed interuption of a signal but I personally think it would be more of a PITA to try to re configure the wiring/plugs to fit properly as opposed to just drilling a new hole in the trigger wheel to re-position it and then just bolting up all your original electrical components.....plug n play...

  9. #9
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,930
    +1
    1,407
    He wants to use his new 08 long block including the PTO.

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=crank
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post

    The communications should be the same as far as I know, it's basically just a timed interuption of a signal but I personally think it would be more of a PITA to try to re configure the wiring/plugs to fit properly as opposed to just drilling a new hole in the trigger wheel to re-position it and then just bolting up all your original electrical components.....plug n play...

  10. #10
    suck my wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sugar Grove IL
    Posts
    2,872
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    He wants to use his new 08 long block including the PTO.

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=crank
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post

    The communications should be the same as far as I know, it's basically just a timed interuption of a signal but I personally think it would be more of a PITA to try to re configure the wiring/plugs to fit properly as opposed to just drilling a new hole in the trigger wheel to re-position it and then just bolting up all your original electrical components.....plug n play...
    OK how about this, cut the plug off the 04 pick up or rather cut it close to the pick up itself so you have a longer wiring section. Then splice it onto the 08 pickup then it should plug right into his 04 harness..........That should work and leaving the 08 trigger wheel alone.
    Also to avoid bigger problems I would highly recommend running the 04 front oil pump housing as it has the topps valve and oil pressure switches in there that plug into the 04 harness......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How-to: Pump Pulling - Wear Ring Swap - Prop Swapping
    By Green Hulk in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQs
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
  2. Procedure for swapping ECUs and Throttle Bodies?
    By Jarrett in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 12:40 AM
  3. RXX Hood Swap Update
    By 1 FAST VE in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 08:05 PM
  4. RXP/RXT motor swap to GTX SC?
    By 01xdime in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
  5. Swapping out Impellers
    By Red Devil in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •