Aftermarket Renthal or Riva handlebars on stock system with standard trim?

Im new to this whole forum and have only just picked up my GP1300r, its the 2006 model and have seen a few people have changed the steering system to aftermarket UMI systems, which I prefer as the same system was on a friends ski back a few years ago. I just wanted to know if I wanted to do this could I put a set of Riva Racing or Renthal Bars on my stock clamps or do I have to buy the whole $500 kit from UMI or Riva which looks a bit complicated. I wanted to keep the original trim system and throttle lever but does any of this have to be modified or changed? And would it be something I could do myself? I have a rough idea of what im doing I just dont want to go ahead and just do it incase I come across any problems. I have seen they do carbon fibre covers which I like the look of but I didnt know if they went over the stock steering system or over the top of the UMI systems? Any help, pictures or tips would be much appreciated (Would love something like in the picture if its possible :s )

Cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha Bars 1.jpg 
Views:	1426 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	282924

+1
    No need for the Umi. Just get a set of 7/8" bars, and use the stock neck. You cut the trim side of the grip, so the new grip can fit. Theres actually a sticky in the how to section that explains it a little better.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=aftermarket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00870.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	282927  

+1
    You don't have to cut the trim. I just kept the stock grips on mine and kept full functionality on my trim. If you cut the white part off you trim will no longer turn with your grip. I don't know if anyone has changed the grips while keeping the trim fully intact. I did have to put sand paper on a wood dowel and stuck it in a drill to sand down the inside of my trim to get it to fit on my 7/8th Riva bars though. I guess they were slightly bigger the the stock ones. I use my trim alot so cutting the white piece off was just not an option for me and the stock grips don't bother me.

Banned User
    +1
    Get a set of renthals or pro tapers and transfer everything over to new set of bars. Get a finger throttle and throw on a set of renthals and our gtg. You will cut off white tube

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    You don't have to cut the trim. I just kept the stock grips on mine and kept full functionality on my trim. If you cut the white part off you trim will no longer turn with your grip. I don't know if anyone has changed the grips while keeping the trim fully intact. I did have to put sand paper on a wood dowel and stuck it in a drill to sand down the inside of my trim to get it to fit on my 7/8th Riva bars though. I guess they were slightly bigger the the stock ones. I use my trim alot so cutting the white piece off was just not an option for me and the stock grips don't bother me.

If you use odi locking grips you must cut the trim. I cut mine a up to the grooves, just long enough for the shorty locking grip. I have no problem using my trim, just two or so inches turn instead of the whole grip. It has a nice clean look.

Banned User
    +1
    post up some pics

+1
    I ground down the bars to allow the trim to slide right over then made a cover out of a chunk of a wrecked carbon fiber hood I had laying around,just make sure the bars you get have enough room to fit the hand controls

Thread Information