Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running WIde Open?

I have a 2007 ultra lx. I am wondering for how long can you ride wide open? Should it be done for long periods of time or is it not good for the engine? My thought is that the engine was designed to run at high rpms, but i'm not comfortable doing it for extended times. Am i over cautious?

Banned User
    +1

Running WIde Open?

Run it as long as u can hold on its fine.

+1
    +1
    They are designed to be wot....
    If it breaks then you had issues before the wot.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    So how do you offer this advice when your ski is needing a major motor over haul at 100 hours? You say yours was abused and misused because it was run close to WOT most of the time? Yes I know its a NA vs SC but its the same base power plant........

+1
    Obviously you don't want to be going WOT the entire day. Can the engine handle it? Most likely. Are you causing more engine stress? Most definitely.
    The key to long engine life is oil changes and regular maintenance !

Banned User
    +1

Running WIde Open?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    So how do you offer this advice when your ski is needing a major motor over haul at 100 hours? You say yours was abused and misused because it was run close to WOT most of the time? Yes I know its a NA vs SC but its the same base power plant........
    Major over hall ? My 300 could of used to new vakves and back into service and my 300 is nowhere comparable to his LX and. My ski was raced and ridden offshore for hrs at a time. If you knew what you where talking about you would know the motors are very different rods pistons cams cylinders no sc compression ratio. Hull pump etc etc etc. thanks for your useful input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyv1 View Post
    I have a 2007 ultra lx. I am wondering for how long can you ride wide open? Should it be done for long periods of time or is it not good for the engine? My thought is that the engine was designed to run at high rpms, but i'm not comfortable doing it for extended times. Am i over cautious?
    I would suggest, with decent oil, and a full and proper warm-up, (5 liters of COLD and THICK oil) they can be run hard till you run the tank dry. I've run mine hard from day one. These aren't run at really very high RPM.

+1
    mate its a jetski designed from the very onset for just that it ran it at WOT for as long as you like the motor and tune are designed this way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    mate its a jetski designed from the very onset for just that it ran it at WOT for as long as you like the motor and tune are designed this way.

i agree, although caution with unhooked

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyv1 View Post
    As long as the ski is in good operating order, you should be able to run it wide open all the time. They are not like cars or trucks. Proper oil changes are a must. If the ski comes apart it either was not properly maintained, a poor factory design, or the engine has been modified. Now if a ski has 300 hundred hours on it I wouldn't hold it open as long, as things may be starting to wear a bit. The longest I have held my 15f wide open was 24 miles, that is a lap around a lake I go to, by that time my hand was cramped up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information