College Solar Competition

I have been reading thru alot of the builds on this site for the past couple days in hopes to get some ideas for my senior design project. I am a mechanical engineer at UCF in Orlando and my group of 5 members will be competing this coming june in a solar powered boat race called "Solar Splash". The reason I came to this site is because I love the way jet pumps and jet skis work, I am trying to integrate this into my boat design. Before I go any further I want to describe the competition. It is made up of 3 parts: sprint (70 meters), slalom, and endurance. For the sprint and slalom races you can run your electric motor setup on multiple batteries but for the endurance you are required to drive for 2 hours and see how far you can get using only powered captured from the solar panels.

The reason I have come to this forum is to get some input on what you more experienced builders think would be good design components. My initial plan was to design something similar to a jet sprint boat, obviously without the v8. I have also started looking into some hydroplane designs and also a tunnel hull. The other design element I am curious about is propulsion, whether to use a prop or a jet. This competition has been going on since '94 and in the pictures I have seen it seems that everyone uses a prop and rudder setup. I like being different and I think the key to winning is the hole shot.

I hope some of you guys can give me some of your input or possibly steer me in the right direction. Also if you think I should put this in another section of the forum let me know.

Thank
    -Ian

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like propulsion efficiency is the top requirement. A jet pump is inherently less power efficient than a well chosen propellor system. I would imagine this is even more true at very low power levels.

How much power do you actually have available for each mode of competition?

Quote Originally Posted by iholmes View Post
    I have been reading thru alot of the builds on this site for the past couple days in hopes to get some ideas for my senior design project. I am a mechanical engineer at UCF in Orlando and my group of 5 members will be competing this coming june in a solar powered boat race called "Solar Splash". The reason I came to this site is because I love the way jet pumps and jet skis work, I am trying to integrate this into my boat design. Before I go any further I want to describe the competition. It is made up of 3 parts: sprint (70 meters), slalom, and endurance. For the sprint and slalom races you can run your electric motor setup on multiple batteries but for the endurance you are required to drive for 2 hours and see how far you can get using only powered captured from the solar panel.

The reason I have come to this forum is to get some input on what you more experienced builders think would be good design components. My initial plan was to design something similar to a jet sprint boat, obviously without the v8. I have also started looking into some hydroplane designs and also a tunnel hull. The other design element I am curious about is propulsion, whether to use a prop or a jet. This competition has been going on since '94 and in the pictures I have seen it seems that everyone uses a prop and rudder setup. I like being different and I think the key to winning is the hole shot.

I hope some of you guys can give me some of your input or possibly steer me in the right direction. Also if you think I should put this in another section of the forum let me know.

Thank

-Ian
    Hello friend sorry for old thread reply but can you share your experience of solar competition? I am working on small solar panel project so the information will help me lot.
    Last edited by KerryTurner; 10-20-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Thread Information