What to do with chipping paint in footwells (besides full paint job)?

I have a Kawi 900 ZXi that I'm going to put new hydroturf on. Before I do that, though, there is the typical chipped/peeled paint in patches in the bottom front of the footwells right by and under where the turf will go, where water has sat all the time. I don't want to make the investment to strip, re-paint, and re-decal the whole top of the ski, so I'm wondering what solutions GHers have found for this issue?

I came across this when searching; could I do a "decent" patch job with that paint over this small area to at least make it look better than it currently does (with fiberglass showing through all over the bottom of the footwell)?

Thanks for any ideas, previous experiences, or advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Millertime44 View Post
    I have a Kawi 900 ZXi that I'm going to put new hydroturf on. Before I do that, though, there is the typical chipped/peeled paint in patches in the bottom front of the footwells right by and under where the turf will go, where water has sat all the time. I don't want to make the investment to strip, re-paint, and re-decal the whole top of the ski, so I'm wondering what solutions GHers have found for this issue?

I came across this when searching; could I do a "decent" patch job with that paint over this small area to at least make it look better than it currently does (with fiberglass showing through all over the bottom of the footwell)?

Thanks for any ideas, previous experiences, or advice.
    your on the right track, using epoxy paint.
    Just clean, sand and spray the epoxy on.
    If you dont want to look at the primer colour.
    You can get a pressure pak mixed up in acrylic to match you colour, then spray that over the primer.

[/QUOTE]your on the right track, using epoxy paint.
    Just clean, sand and spray the epoxy on.
    If you dont want to look at the primer colour.
    You can get a pressure pak mixed up in acrylic to match you colour, then spray that over the primer.[/QUOTE]

Where can I get a "pressure pak" made for the Kawasaki white color? Is that different from the VHT post I found (linked above)?
    Thanks!

i wouldnt be worried to much about getting the color perfect, its being turffed any way right ?

Quote Originally Posted by ln24578 View Post
    i wouldnt be worried to much about getting the color perfect, its being turffed any way right ?
    Yes, but the paint is chipped away beyond the edges of where the new turf will go, so it will be seen even after being re-turfed.

+1
    [/QUOTE]Where can I get a "pressure pak" made for the Kawasaki white color? Is that different from the VHT post I found (linked above)?
    Thanks!

[/QUOTE]I dont know where in the USA.
    In OZ I think PPG will mix your colour and add it to a pressure pak.
    We can also make the paint out of epoxy or Ploy or Ac/U, any type of 2-pak, and put that in a pressure pak.
    Ask any Auto paint supply company.

Banned User
    +1
    Find a local auto paint supplier. Take the ski to them and see if they can match the white, or see if you can find the paint code Kawasaki used on that ski. Should be able to get a perfect match. I was able to fix a few spots on a Polaris this way and it looks great!!!

The other thing you can do is check with your local Kawasaki dealer. I am sure they can get the paints in spray cans. I know you can get the paints for any Polaris machine through them, I would assume Kawasaki has the same thing.

this is just a silly idea and I have never saw it done.What about creative use of truck spray on/ roll on bed liner stuff. I think it can come in colors but I'm not sure

+1

Re: What to do with chipping paint in footwells (besides full paint job)?

Roll in bedliner works just fine. Tape off area of foot well you want done and Sand with at least 320-400 grit paper. I've got it done on my 05 Stx-r and have no issues and good traction

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Millertime44 View Post
    Where can I get a "pressure pak" made for the Kawasaki white color? Is that different from the VHT post I found (linked above)?
    Thanks!
    I can't remember the name of the company, but your dealer can tell you if you can't find it on Google. Kawasaki doesn't sell factory paint, you have to order it from another supplier. I was going to get some to touch up my STX, but about fainted when I found out how ridiculously expensive it was. IIRC it was about $150 (including shipping).

Thread Information